Husqvarna vs. Ariens tracked snow blowers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ever notice why tanks have tracks? Because they are tanks. They go through everything.

So guess what: your new machine with tracks will be a tank!! :)

Andrew

I hope that doesn't mean I have to paint it OD Green!!! I sort of got sick of that color...

What is new about tracks is that it prevents the front of the blower from getting "lifted" while advancing.

That's something I hadn't considered - and it good news to me. We often get an icy crust on the snow that tends to lift the front of the blower. My Ariens is well balanced, but there's little weight on the front, so it lifts easily. Tracks are looking better all the time!

Ooops!!! I forgot to mention we are talking about Ariens. LOL.

The HD website gives this item:http://www.homedepot.ca/product/ari...ic-start-28in-clearing-width-snowblowe/953977 it is model number 926042

Which is also http://www.ariens.com/products/snow-blowers/track-snow-blower/pages/default.aspx

and also http://www.snowblowersdirect.com/Ariens-926042-Snow-Thrower/p3252.html (free shipping, tax free and extended 2 year warranty. Damn I wish I lived in the US!)

Now I want a new blower....sigh.

Those prices are actually higher than I can get a Honda 24" 9 horse track for- $2799.

Nothing against Deere! I like Deere green and yellow just fine :)
Lots of Deeres around here, also many many older Farmalls, of which I have 3.

Reactions: MasterMech
That's something I hadn't considered - and it good news to me. We often get an icy crust on the snow that tends to lift the front of the blower. My Ariens is well balanced, but there's little weight on the front, so it lifts easily. Tracks are looking better all the time!

The new Ariens I got is more nose heavy than the one it replaced.

Reactions: Adios Pantalones
The new Ariens I got is more nose heavy than the one it replaced.
That's good- I find myself lifting a bit on the back- especially going up hill- with my '02 vintage Ariens

Couple slices of 1/2" steel plate painted Ariens orange should fix that. Couple bolts, couple holes, wah la! Attitude adjustment.
You act like I have any ability to plan ahead. Every snow storm I think "Oh ya, I should do something about that" :)

I've always been drawn to the heavy duty Simplicity models as well.

SignatureProSnow-RF.jpg

Well, I did it! Went down and got me a 13HP 32" tracked Honda. Since it was 92* here today, the showroom wasn't exactly packed with snowblower shoppers. But, I'm ready, and now want some snow to try it in! Got it on sale, free delivery, small tool kit and spare shear pins to boot.

Well, I did it! Went down and got me a 13HP 32" tracked Honda. Since it was 92* here today, the showroom wasn't exactly packed with snowblower shoppers. But, I'm ready, and now want some snow to try it in! Got it on sale, free delivery, small tool kit and spare shear pins to boot.

You won't be disappointed. These blowers get handed down in the family.

So, it'll probably outlast me…guess I overbought! (just kidding). :)

What are the differences between Ariens 'compact track' and 'deluxe track' models?

Besides cutting width, that is, and related smaller engine.

For me, a smaller blower would be better due to tight spaces & manueverability - I picked up a brochure at the Ariens place yesterday, and the 24" 208cc 'compact track' has my eye. $1529, which is about the most reasonable priced tracked blower I've seen. I haven't seen any used Hondas here for much less than that.

I need a large width, since I have a lot of paved area to clear, and want to do as little walking as possible. I also need the ability to fling the snow a good ways, so I don't have to move it twice.

The old rule about tractors also applies here, IMO. "Buy more machine than you think you'll need." If you have a smaller area to clear, you won't need the power, except maybe at the foot of the drive. But you can take that in smaller bites and still get the job done.

My Honda arrived yesterday! I took it for a walk down the path I need to clear. The path is dirt, grass, and gravel. On the way up the hill, I tried to hold the machine back - and I couldn't even slow it down! So, I expect, even on snow/ice, it will do just what I need it to do. Now I have mixed feelings - I want some snow to play in, but don't look forward to winter itself. Ah, sweet misery….:rolleyes:

I need a large width, since I have a lot of paved area to clear, and want to do as little walking as possible. I also need the ability to fling the snow a good ways, so I don't have to move it twice.
Hence my rig:
IMG_1303.jpg download (1).jpg 0411560719full.jpg tumblr_mbd5d8EvFB1rb6q1eo1_400.jpg SB84_APPLICATION.jpg

Cost was under $2500, since I already needed the tractor for other stuff.

Once you put four wheels and a big engine behind the blower, you'll never go back. My driveway resembles a small parking lot, I clear it with 17hp and a 42" blower mounted to my LT180 lawn tractor.

I've got the same machine. As far as throwing snow there's nothing like it, but it's more than that. Be careful when you go off-road with it because it works pretty well as a sod cutter. It will throw ANYTHING. Heavy, heavy, heavy snow is not a problem. I think it's something to do with the impeller speed vs other snow blowers I've owned. It will throw a puddle of water 20'.

Make sure you've got plenty of extra shear bolts/nuts. One of the the things about Hondas (for me, lots of trees/sticks where I'm at) is they eat a ton of shear pins, which is a PITA with my old Ariens but with the Honda no big deal because of the design. Instead of a thick bolt through the axle that shears off - and then you have to stop, clear out the snow, line up the axle, punch out the rest of the bolt and put in another one. Hard to do in the dark with gloves. The Honda shear bolts break and fall out, and it's much easier to line up.

Last edited:
What are the differences between Ariens 'compact track' and 'deluxe track' models?

Besides cutting width, that is, and related smaller engine.

For me, a smaller blower would be better due to tight spaces & manueverability - I picked up a brochure at the Ariens place yesterday, and the 24" 208cc 'compact track' has my eye. $1529, which is about the most reasonable priced tracked blower I've seen. I haven't seen any used Hondas here for much less than that.

Where in Nova Scotia do you live? I saw the same machine in a brochure last week. Are you looking for one on a track or tires? Depends on what you want.

You can get last year's model with a bigger engine for that same price. 30 or 32 inch width.

Andrew

Once you put four wheels and a big engine behind the blower, you'll never go back. My driveway resembles a small parking lot, I clear it with 17hp and a 42" blower mounted to my LT180 lawn tractor.

Well, to each his own, but I am going back. I have a 22HP Conquest that is an absolute gem for mowing with a 54" deck, but falls short as a snowblower, for me, anyway. Even with 150 pounds of suitcase weights, and chains, it doesn't have enough traction to do my driveway easily. The final straw for me is that I can't keep belts on the blower. They cost $65 each, and it eats them like candy. I know something is wrong, but I can't figure out what, and the dealer is useless.
I tried taking it down to the barn once, in a light snow, and almost couldn't get it back up the hill. That big honkin' two stage hanging out front takes a lot of weight off of the rear wheels.

However, on the leveler areas, it was a beast in the snow. It threw the snow halfway back to where it came from! And it's very nice to sit and ride, I agree.

But we are parting ways. The belt path for the two stage blower is insane, a poor design IMO.
So, it's back to a walker, and the tracks seem like they'll do the job. Time will tell, and I'll miss how quick the Simplicity could do the leveler areas. I could do my driveway and large parking area, even with a heavy snow, in about 20 minutes. The fun would end too quickly!

Status
Not open for further replies.