Husqvarner 55 Rancher bar length choice?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dougand3

Minister of Fire
Oct 16, 2008
North Alabama
I'm gonna trade for Husq 55. Choice of 16" or 20" bar. Will it pull the 20" just fine? I figure it will but wanted to hear from someone using it.

Are you talking about an older 55 rancher? Are the bars new or used?

If the bars are used I would tell him to keep them and knock a few bucks off. Lowes has good prices on husky bar's. Their chains are crazy overpriced.

Yes the saw will pull a 20" bar but I prefer an 18", easier to work with. I have a much larger saw which made me choose the smaller bar. If this will be your all around saw then I would go with the 20".

I bought last year a used 55 rancher and it came with a 20" bar. The bar was in rough shape so I bought a new 18" because the chains are cheaper and it does help to keep the RPM's up. I can still bog the saw down even with an 18" bar...

Reactions: Fred Wright
20" is maxing that saw out and IMO a bad practice if you want longevity. Best to go 18" and only use the 20" on occasion or go with a two saw plan.

Reactions: Fred Wright
I think an older 55. I'm gonna check on what getting both bars will entail. Trading a Troybilt 4 cycle string trimmer for a running 55 and a parts 55.

+1 on 18" bar - perfect IMO for the 55. Cheers!

Got the 55 Rancher saws - a main saw and a parts saw. 20" bar/chain and 16" bar/chain.
Main saw: 51cc on label. Plate says 1998 8401991, Husqvarna AB.
Parts saw: 53cc on label. Plate says 1998 8241130, Husqvarna AB.
So, made in 1998? I think they are both Ranchers but starter assy shroud could have been changed on main saw - shroud is only place I see Rancher. Anybody know from plate #? Anybody tell from the pics?

Main saw needed carb screen cleaning and a diaphragm. Runs pretty well now. It doesn't have a comp release valve, so more pulling than I'm accustomed to.
About the teeth....16" are so much smaller than 20". Is this normal or have 16" been filed Husq55_5.jpg Husq55_1.jpg Husq55_4.jpg 4 gazillion times?

The 16" chain is on top. Thanks. Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.