Husqy 50/60cc saws (346xp, 350, 555, 357xp)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ampamp

Oct 31, 2010
Buffalo - Rochester
Wondering if anyone else has some experience or opinions on the Husqvarana 555. I know it’s only been out only a little while. I’ve used and/or owned 350 / 346xp / 357xp / 555 / 365 / 372xp. So that’s my comparison. In previous posts I’ve mentioned I’m a ~20-30 face cord of firewood guy….and I manage a little property as well. My latest purchase is a 555 and it was mainly based on the ratings more or less. I was looking for a saw that wouldn’t struggle with a 20” bar and had more teeth than my 350 (and a 346xp), but not the cost of a 562xp. So, I’ve used the 555 and I got to tell ya….it feels a lot closer to a 357xp than anything else….including the 346. I know the 357 is going away and it was rated at 4.4HP, 12.1 lbs. I really liked that saw….and the 555 feels pretty close if not the same! 555…4.2HP, 12.3 lbs. I wonder if this is the replacement for the 357? I ask because the 562 (same owner’s manual as 555) is 4.8 HP, 12.5 lbs. Seems like a heck of an upgrade from the 357. The thing that attracted me to the 555 was that it seemed to have all the pro parts….all metal crankcase, etc. It was just a tuned down 562 maybe? What does everyone think? It’s hard to figure Husqy out sometimes with the info they publish…..and I’ve always been a Husqy fan! I get the whole pro / non-pro thing, but is seems like these “landowner/contractor” saws are pretty sweet. I almost went with a 346xp 20”, but I think I’ll be happier with this 555 purchase. It’s only 1 lb more and seems to be quite a bit more saw. I’ll write more as it goes through its paces more. Thoughts?

562XP is what the 357XP should have been right outta the box. (Minus the strato technology) A MS361/362's worst nightmare. The 555, and all of Husky's "landowner" saws are are indeed great machines but the cost difference over the time your likely to own the saw just doesn't justify compromising performance. Plus resale on anything that says XP after it is gonna be a much better deal for the seller.

That said, I'd take the 555 over the 346XP just for durability reasons. Plus if you want a 20" bar as your daily driver then the torque from the extra displacement is a winner.

I've got a 555 with a modded muffler and it is a great saw. Pulls a 20" most of the time but I've got a 24" B&C that it'll pull too. I'm sure the 562xp is a better saw but I got a good deal on my 555.

Any other input from any 555 users? The more I use mine.....the more I like it. I think it's hard to tell the difference when saw's specs get so close, but the more I play with this, the more it feels like a 357xp. Hopefully it lasts for years....problem free!

Not on your list.. but my 359 pulls 20" just fine. I love it. Light enough to not wear you out, powerfull enough to cut whatever you put it to. Starts in three pulls year 'round.

Status
Not open for further replies.