Husqy vs Stihl (50cc and 60cc) advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
About 10 years and 60 or so cords of mid Kentucky hardwoods, dropped and bucked with my 359xp. No complaints at all. Ran it almost non-stop for three days after the '09 ice storm, never a hiccup.

ironpony said:
fyrwoodguy said:
best 60cc saw out of the box yet,only time will tell. standard 3/8's pitch large chisel cutter saw chain.
346XP new edition 50cc saw small .325 pitch small chisel cutter saw chain,best ever- soon to be discontinued-

is that one of them new chinese knock offs???

not quite

HittinSteel said:
ironpony said:
fyrwoodguy said:
best 60cc saw out of the box yet,only time will tell. standard 3/8's pitch large chisel cutter saw chain.
346XP new edition 50cc saw small .325 pitch small chisel cutter saw chain,best ever- soon to be discontinued-

is that one of them new chinese knock offs???

not quite

Yea thats a hot looking saw!

fyrwoodguy said:

ARgh, say it aint so. Just when I have the next saw picked out...

HittinSteel said:
deranged said:
fyrwoodguy said:

Not to worry, here's its replacement. Click a few to the right and you'll see the 543XP, which will probably be a little light sabre like the 242XP was.

http://www.husqvarna.com/dk/forest/products/xp-saws/550-xp/

Awesome, thanks for the link. As long as I can get my little 445 to last me a while longer I'll be set.

Try and gey your hands on an old 262xp and never look back.

bogydave said:
Husqvarna 357XP/359 are the same owner's manual. Big price difference. Pretty close to the same saw.
Part:
http://www.husqvarna.com/ddoc/HUSI/HUSI2001_AAaa/HUSI2001_AAaa__1062606-62.pdf

For me it was between the 460 Rancher & 359, I got the 359.
Haven't ran it through it's paces yet, 2 gallons thru it. Sure an upgrade from my 30 yr old Husq 61.
Happy with it so far.

So is there a lot different between the 357xp and 359? Looks like the 359 is 59.0cc / 3.9hp and the 357xp 56.5cc / 4.4hp. I would guess the xp has the metal crankcase. I'm also guessing this would cut a bit easier (no bogging down) compared to the 346xp or 350 I used?

amp said:
bogydave said:
Husqvarna 357XP/359 are the same owner's manual. Big price difference. Pretty close to the same saw.
Part:

Haven't ran it through it's paces yet, 2 gallons thru it. Sure an upgrade from my 30 yr old Husq 61.
Happy with it so far.

So is there a lot different between the 357xp and 359? Looks like the 359 is 59.0cc / 3.9hp and the 357xp 56.5cc / 4.4hp. I would guess the xp has the metal crankcase. I'm also guessing this would cut a bit easier (no bogging down) compared to the 346xp or 350 I used?

357XP is the next step up from the 346XP. The 350 doesn't even play in the same league as the 346XP once you get your hands on it and sink the bar in a log. If you're looking at the 357XP you should know that one, it's on that soon to be discontinued list and the 562XP is it's replacement and two, the Stihl MS361 or MS362 are a bit more saw for less $$ in stock form. Once the mods begin for the 357XP tho, all bets are off!

MasterMech said:
amp said:
bogydave said:
Part:

Happy with it so far.

357XP is the next step up from the 346XP. The 350 doesn't even play in the same league as the 346XP once you get your hands on it and sink the bar in a log. If you're looking at the 357XP you should know that one, it's on that soon to be discontinued list and the 562XP is it's replacement and two, the Stihl MS361 or MS362 are a bit more saw for less $$ in stock form. Once the mods begin for the 357XP tho, all bets are off!

different piston & stroke, cat muffler on 359. Some say change out the cat muffler to a non cat, saws are pretty even then, Maybe true.
Might try it after warranty runs out.
Looked hard at the Stihls , great saws. Weight, gas & oil caps & my round sizing measuring pole that I hook to the bar didn't work on Stihl, no hole near the tip.
Was between 359 VS 460:
359 Lighter weight, easy starting, (compression release for starting) make it a better "Old Man's saw". This year I hope to get it broke in good & see if it matches up or exceeds the old 61.
Got it with 3/8 (.375)" chain .050 X 20" bar. Same as old saw.
blue knob is compression release:

Attachments

• bar jig4.jpg
    bar jig4.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 593
  • 100_6936.jpg
    100_6936.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 1,340
I was in the market for a new saw a few weeks ago. I looked for two weeks straight at stihl 290, 270 & 311, husky 450, 455, 460 and 346xp, jonsered 5120 I think and the dolmar 5100 and 5105 saws. When it all came down to it, I chose the 346xp and after two days of cutting I have to say I am really happy with my decision. The weight to power ratio is great and even though a pro model saw might be overkill I know that since I take good care of my equipment I should have this saw for a very long time. Plus my dealer is 5 mins from my house and they give great service. My second choice was the dolmar and if you have a dealer near by I would say definetley give it a good look. I didn't know that the 346xp is going to be discontinued and and am kinda curious about their replacement for it. Oh well.

amp said:
bogydave said:
Part:

Happy with it so far.

359 and 357xp use almost all the same parts, the p&c in the 357 are different and thats where the main differences are that are getting you the higher power rating and rev limit. The 359 is a hell of a firewood saw and has all of the pro components that everyone always looks for (magnesium crankcase, etc.). Additionally its regarded as one of the most responsive saws to mild (and some not so mild) mods like a muffler mod, porting, base gasket removal, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrO8pKjY5dc

that 359 video sure gets the point across.

That 562 is nice looking, really nice looking.
I wonder if some of the other XPs will take on that look?

I for one have never been crazy about the orange with silver trim Husky saws, but that 562 is something else. Like the new color scheme, but I sitll prefer the all orange cases myself.

MasterMech said:
amp said:
bogydave said:
Part:

Happy with it so far.

I'm guessing you mean that the 350 doesn't even play in the same league as the 357XP. I only say that because the old 350 (now 450) is really not that different from the 346xp. I know the magnesium crankcase and no loose bolts on the cover. I'm guessing that's worth the extra $150. The hp is a little better, but as I said in an earlier post.....not sure if I'm seeing it when I put both saws in wood. They cut about quickly as each other and they both bog down just a bit if you accidentaly push down into the wood too much by accident. Seems you fix that with a bigger saw (~60cc).

I’m guessing you mean that the 350 doesn’t even play in the same league as the 357XP. I only say that because the old 350 (now 450) is really not that different from the 346xp.

Again, close to 20% difference in power output between the 450 and 346. This is like saying theres not much difference between an V-6 Mustang and a GT. Its a completely different saw.

They cut about quickly as each other and they both bog down just a bit if you accidentaly push down into the wood too much by accident.

Have you used both of these saws in back to back cuts? I just really find it hard to swallow this statement but I have to be fair and no, I have not used both of them personally. I have used a 455 Rancher back to back with my 359, both 20" b&c with fresh chains in 15" red oak (same log). Not quite a 10% difference in power rating according to Husky's website and it was night and day between the two. The 359 ate the 455 for breakfast in the cut and it was noticably lighter to boot. Any saw can get bogged down in the cut if you push hard on it...in my test the 455 bogged much easier than the 359 ...just took a light push in the middle of the cut and it would grab, the 359 could get bogged at the same point, but you had to want to do it.

If you've done this cutting yourslf I'm thinking there was something wrong with the 346 you were using, can you tell us more about how you did the testing? The difference between a 450 and a 346XP should be VERY noticable.

At any rate, for the type of work you're describing way back on page 1, I don't think a 50cc saw if the best tool for you, ou'll be a lot happier with a 60cc saw, a 70cc saw like the 372XP is what a lot of people seem to really like for long term, heavy use for land maintenance and heavy firewooding...but the budget's got to stop at some point.

Just my 2 cents.

mayhem said:
I’m guessing you mean that the 350 doesn’t even play in the same league as the 357XP. I only say that because the old 350 (now 450) is really not that different from the 346xp.

Again, close to 20% difference in power output between the 450 and 346. This is like saying theres not much difference between an V-6 Mustang and a GT. Its a completely different saw.

They cut about quickly as each other and they both bog down just a bit if you accidentaly push down into the wood too much by accident.

Have you used both of these saws in back to back cuts? I just really find it hard to swallow this statement but I have to be fair and no, I have not used both of them personally. I have used a 455 Rancher back to back with my 359, both 20" b&c with fresh chains in 15" red oak (same log). Not quite a 10% difference in power rating according to Husky's website and it was night and day between the two. The 359 ate the 455 for breakfast in the cut and it was noticably lighter to boot. Any saw can get bogged down in the cut if you push hard on it...in my test the 455 bogged much easier than the 359 ...just took a light push in the middle of the cut and it would grab, the 359 could get bogged at the same point, but you had to want to do it.

If you've done this cutting yourslf I'm thinking there was something wrong with the 346 you were using, can you tell us more about how you did the testing? The difference between a 450 and a 346XP should be VERY noticable.

At any rate, for the type of work you're describing way back on page 1, I don't think a 50cc saw if the best tool for you, ou'll be a lot happier with a 60cc saw, a 70cc saw like the 372XP is what a lot of people seem to really like for long term, heavy use for land maintenance and heavy firewooding...but the budget's got to stop at some point.

Just my 2 cents.

It's good info to hear so no worries. I know any saw will bog down if you lean on it for sure, it's just with a 50cc saw (such as the 350/450/346xp) it seems to do it pretty easily. you have watch it or will bog down a bit. don't want to dwell on this so much...just looking for a saw that might not be so touchy. Maybe a need a higher torque saw...you know. I've used both 350, 346xp.....same wood......multiple cuts...actually have used them during the fair bit of day. I'm just saying I'm not seeing this huge difference between these 50cc saws. It sounds like the components are better in the 346 and maybe that allows for higher rpms...higher hp, but not seeing anything hugely noticeable. I think you can only ring so much out of a 50cc saw.....just like you can only ring so much out of a 60, 70, etc cc saw.
I'm still not sure what saw or combination to go with ultimately. I like the wieght of the 357xp (56.6cc / 4.4hp) is 12.1 lbs.....and I'm use to 11 or so lbs so this might be the ticket. The MS362 is 13 lbs so we're starting to creap up on weight.

HittinSteel said:
deranged said:
fyrwoodguy said:

Not to worry, here's its replacement. Click a few to the right and you'll see the 543XP, which will probably be a little light sabre like the 242XP was.

Either a 357 or a new 555 and you'll leave the others behind in a pile of saw dust! :cheese: I was going to p/u a 555 this weekend, but I put my back out the other night at work...need to let it heal, and don't need a new saw staring at me all weekend...taunting me! :gulp:

KodiakII said:
HittinSteel said:
deranged said:
fyrwoodguy said:

Either a 357 or a new 555 and you'll leave the others behind in a pile of saw dust! :cheese: I was going to p/u a 555 this weekend, but I put my back out the other night at work...need to let it heal, and don't need a new saw staring at me all weekend...taunting me! :gulp:

Anyone use a Husqy 365. A dealer friend of mine says they're quite a saw....maybe doesn't meet California emissions, but is saw real comparable to the 372 actaully. Magnesium crankcase, 13 lbs, I think 65cc and 4.6hp. Really wanted to stay with a pro saw and not beyond 12 lbs, but this might be worth considering.

Sawmillman said:
Husky vs. Stihl... Id say for you it would be the one with a honest close by dealer.For me that means husky, been running them just about 30 years and have been buying my saws at the same place.Good service no exuses,no wating for parts.I run a 372 most of the time good power to weight ratio,balance is reasonable, it runs a 24" bar ok and you can work with it all day with ease."Homeower" saws are really meant for ocassional use, and will wear you and themselves out.I would recommend a bottom tier pro saw in a Husky that would be s 365,( and even this wont really do well with a 24" bar).Try some out at your dealer see whats feels right for you,and get him to cut you some slack on the new chaps and hat ;-)

I have a Husky 365 its probably 6-7 years old very nice saw it weighs 13#and would be an excellent choice for a first pro saw.... A Jonsered 2165 which is the same manufacturer(Husqvarna/Jonsered)and basicaly same saw will be cheaper ...its not orange.I have not run one of these: but I did run a jonsered 2171 this past june (it was brand new :p )on a diaster relife team here in MA. and what a sweetheart much better than my Husky 372....That 2171 was bought for 650 then ;there was a special promotion....

If I already had a 50cc saw I would jump to a 70cc saw. Put a short bar on the 50cc saw for limbing etc and use the 70cc saw for bigger wood. Stihl or Husky really does not matter. Two of the saws I have are time tested by men who run them 5 days a week and that is why they are sought after: they are good and durable saws. I want my stuff to work. Some folks are perfectly happy with non professional tools but I am not one of them.

Sawmillman said:
I did run a jonsered 2171 this past june (it was brand new :p )on a diaster relife team here in MA. and what a sweetheart much better than my Husky 372....That 2171 was bought for 650 then ;there was a special promotion....

I'm curious what is "much better" than the 372? Thought it was same saw with a straight handle bar, different color, and different stickers.

I bought my dad who was giving me lots of free firewood a 372 for $530. Of course that was the 2nd or 3rd time (of 7 or 8 now) they were discontinued. LoL

Every size saw has one thing it is ideal at, but they will usually work for bigger/smaller stuff as well. I could buck 30" rounds with a 40cc saw, but it would wear me out. I could limb a tree with an 80cc saw, but it would wear me out.

KarlP said:
Sawmillman said:
I did run a jonsered 2171 this past june (it was brand new :p )on a diaster relife team here in MA. and what a sweetheart much better than my Husky 372....That 2171 was bought for 650 then ;there was a special promotion....

I'm curious what is "much better" than the 372? Thought it was same saw with a straight handle bar, different color, and different stickers.

I bought my dad who was giving me lots of free firewood a 372 for $530. Of course that was the 2nd or 3rd time (of 7 or 8 now) they were discontinued. LoL

Every size saw has one thing it is ideal at, but they will usually work for bigger/smaller stuff as well. I could buck 30" rounds with a 40cc saw, but it would wear me out. I could limb a tree with an 80cc saw, but it would wear me out.

My 372 is 10 years plus old the 2171 was brand new.... so there has been some advancements #1 balance #2 chain speed is very fast...like oh my #3 the air dam set up is much better.... #4 the price a 2171 /372 is the same saw so why is the 2171 $100 cheaper? IM trying to come up with a reason why I need another saw :red:

To the op, I have to agree with Mark above, 50cc is a limb/light cutting saw, 70cc is a firewood saw, 90cc+ is a milling saw, 120cc plus is really a cool & loud saw.
A C

Status
Not open for further replies.