Husqy vs Stihl (50cc and 60cc) advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MasterMech said:
greythorn3 said:
the Stihl 056 any good?

056 is a 90+cc beast. Found a deal on one?

is a deal 300$ with no bar or chain?

greythorn3 said:
MasterMech said:
greythorn3 said:
the Stihl 056 any good?

If you need a 90cc saw...
If it's in very good condition, running, with no issues/flaws...

Then yeah $300 is fair IMO. Keep in mind that a big bar (28"+) and a couple chains will prolly total over $100.

Make it $250 and it'd be real hard to pass up I think.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?rt=nc&_nkw=Stihl+056&_sop=16

Thanks for all the information. I figured this post would yield some good conversation...it did. My local dealer is close and carries both Husqy and Stihl....so I will get one of those (would have anyway). I'm going to stop down and take a look (and feel) the saws I'm interested in. I'm leaning toward the 357XP almost entirely now just because of the lightness (12.1 lbs), and I think the saw will obviously handle a bigger bar....I may use this as my big saw even though it's mid at best. It gets me thinking though, I might as well stick around the 50cc saw for my small saw and probably jump to this bigger saw for my firewood saw (65-70cc) as many have suggested. Anyway, the saws on the table are the following in order of what I think I like the most for a firewood saw. Of course...opinions welcome.

1. 357xp
2. MS362
3. 562xp
4. 365
5. 359

555 off list since it's not really been proven in my area too much

1. MS362
2. 362xp
3. 357xp
4. 365
5. 359

JMO

that jump to the 365 would be sweet but I bet those others feel better by far. the XPs especially.
the 362xp looks good on paper if you are already spending that much on the 357.

Husky doesn't list a 365 on their website as a current or recently discontinued model. When was it produced?

357xp is rated up to a 24' bar as is the 359, though I note that the website specs show a 20" as the current recommended max.

OK here is the deal. Get your hands on a new or used 346XP. I'll give you Dan Henry's #. Send him your saw. You will thank me, trust me! If you like the idea of carrying around a saw as light as a 346 with nearly the power of stock 372. Runs 3/8 full comp chain and pulls it like no saw you've ever ran before. You will have to run 100+ octane fuel though. I just run AvGas in mine. No problems with it 4 yrs later.

MasterMech said:
greythorn3 said:
MasterMech said:
greythorn3 said:
the Stihl 056 any good?

If you need a 90cc saw...
If it's in very good condition, running, with no issues/flaws...

Then yeah $300 is fair IMO. Keep in mind that a big bar (28"+) and a couple chains will prolly total over $100.

Make it $250 and it'd be real hard to pass up I think.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?rt=nc&_nkw=Stihl+056&_sop=16

can you put a 16" bar on them?

mayhem said:
Husky doesn't list a 365 on their website as a current or recently discontinued model. When was it produced?

357xp is rated up to a 24' bar as is the 359, though I note that the website specs show a 20" as the current recommended max.

The 365 isn't available everywhere since it fails emissions....I think in California. I know a dealer who has them....just wanted to go with a pro saw.......

well whats a good saw i will love and not regret buying, im gonna start looking to buy soon.

555 is the nicest starting and running saw I have ever had the pleasure of operating. 266 has a bit more torque, but can be a pia to start compared to the new one!

Attachments

• saw1 400a.jpg
    saw1 400a.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 250
KodiakII said:
555 is the nicest starting and running saw I have ever had the pleasure of operating. 266 has a bit more torque, but can be a pia to start compared to the new one!

Ever rebuild the 266 carb?

the 455 rancher is 482$ here. i dont know if its worth it.

HittinSteel said:
KodiakII said:

No. It has always been a pia to start. Should have had a decompressor...it is really stout to pull over. Dealer knew I had it and warned me about ripping the cord out of the 555, as I was used to pulling on the 266.

KodiakII said:
HittinSteel said:
KodiakII said:

No. It has always been a pia to start. Should have had a decompressor...it is really stout to pull over. Dealer knew I had it and warned me about ripping the cord out of the 555, as I was used to pulling on the 266.

I new pump diaphragm may cut down on the number of times you have to pull it over cold....then all saws should be 1 pullers warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.