HX or not

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grapenut

May 16, 2008
Southcoast, MA
I run a Seton with 1000 gallons storage and have always used the same water that I'm heating in the boiler and storage to run through the radiators and baseboard in the house. This water tends to be rusty b/c of the storage tanks. I'm putting on an addition and installing radiant heat. Going forward, should I be installing a HX to keep the boiler water separate form the water running through the house heaters to keep the water running through them cleaner?

As long as your system is pressurized and you have nothing that would allow oxygen to enter the system (non-O2 barrier pex tubing), I would avoid using the HX. It just complicates things and is not necessary.

I wouldn't use an HX but at the same time you shouldn't have "lots" of rust in the water if it's sealed properly. Perhaps now is a good time to drain the system, replace the water and add some corrosion inhibitor for good measure.

Status
Not open for further replies.