HX Question - Heating a Salt Pool with Central Boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

willjayc

Aug 6, 2012
I have a Wood/propane Central Boiler and a salt water pool. The lines are all in for the pool and now I am shopping for a heat exchanger. I have two in mind, one is a CuproNickel design that seems to disassemble for maintenance/inspection, the other is a titanium design that seems to not disassemble. I have found the prices to be similar although one is 240,000 btu (CuproNickel) vs 300,000 btu (Titanium)

Which is better? Titanium or Copper Nickel

Do I really need to be able to disassemble for cleaning?

Thanks!

I have a Wood/propane Central Boiler and a salt water pool. The lines are all in for the pool and now I am shopping for a heat exchanger. I have two in mind, one is a CuproNickel design that seems to disassemble for maintenance/inspection, the other is a titanium design that seems to not disassemble. I have found the prices to be similar although one is 240,000 btu (CuproNickel) vs 300,000 btu (Titanium)

Which is better? Titanium or Copper Nickel

Do I really need to be able to disassemble for cleaning?

Thanks!

Go with the manufacturers suggestions as far as the precautions for keeping the HX clean. Typically a good filter or strainer is upstream of the HX is required. I guess it comes down to how clean the water is going across the HX.

If it is an open system OWF you want to have a strainer or dirt separator protecting that side of the HX also. Install the HX with service/ iso valves and simple union connections should you need to remove it for service.

I dan't have any salt water experience as far as which metal is best.

Based on this compatibility chart, I would definitely go with the titanium. If you look on page 4, you'll see "chlorine water". Monel is a type of CuNi. Monel is rated a C, whereas Ti is rated an A. It's hard to beat titanium for a number of reasons.

Reactions: F4jock
Titanium + a good strainer + pipe it up in a manner that will allow you to pump cleaning chemicals through it without taking the system apart because you will have to do it often.

Thanks all.

Heaterman - I was planning on putting the hx after the pool pump and filter that should suffice for a strainer I assume?

Reactions: heaterman
Titaniun. CuproNickel alloy isn't as resistant to chlorides.

Status
Not open for further replies.