HX thumping in Seton when fired?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice fix, any pics?

I have been following this post for awhile and glad to see an ending to all of the guess work. I have a Buderus Logano G201 with 500 gallons of pressurized storage and I have been going through the same problem for two years. I think I will try the boiler treatment before I jump into a tare down. I can't thank you enough for the update.....

b_board said:
I have been following this post for awhile and glad to see an ending to all of the guess work. I have a Buderus Logano G201 with 500 gallons of pressurized storage and I have been going through the same problem for two years. I think I will try the boiler treatment before I jump into a tare down. I can't thank you enough for the update.....

No problem bro, sorry to hear of "your" problem. I believe my problem derived from me draining the HX the summer before last instead of just leaving it pressurized with water in it. Does your boiler have a similar HX as the Seton?

glad to see you fixed the problem. i have to change the back refractory in mine soon. maybe ill cut it open and see whats inside. thanks for the update

2.beans said:
glad to see you fixed the problem. i have to change the back refractory in mine soon. maybe ill cut it open and see whats inside. thanks for the update

Hi beans, yeah I forgot you were having kind of the same problem too. Did your refractory crack?

All I did was cut the end of the header off that is opposite the tube openings and run a 3/4" SS wire brush on a piece of small pex tubing. The funny thing is that all the tubes except 2 were basically nice and clean. No rust or corrosion at all. The inside of the 4" X 4" header was also pretty much spotless. So I'm not really sure what was going on with just those 2 tubes, but evidently thats what the problem was. I've just done my 3rd burn and everything running smooth and quiet.

If you do take out your HX for examination, you might want to try what I did. I modified it by moving it forward and down about 1 1/2" so it sits more directly in the exhaust stream. It is going to add some efficiency to the unit for sure I believe. It will be easier to clean now also.

Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.