Hybrid Heat Pump Water Heater or Geyers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chuck172

Minister of Fire
Apr 24, 2008
Sussex County, NJ
I don't want to go through another summer heating dhw with my tarm wood boiler. I have a superstor hooked up to the oil burner, but the price of oil is high and looks like it's staying up there.
I've been thinking heat pump. Is anyone using a Hybrid Heat Pump Water Heater? The GE model comes with its own 50 gallon tank and electric back-up.
The Geyser system has been around for a while. Is there a benefit to go with the hybrid vs. the stand alone geyser?

If you already have the superstore then a Geyser is perfect IMO. I've been looking into one for some time now as well. Worst case, the Geyser can't keep up (company or large hot water demand) and your oil fires and also dumps heat into the indirect. If you have a cold start oil boiler it should never come on unless needed. An all-in-one hybrid is a unit and if the tank or HP fails you need to replace the whole thing. In my reasearch on the Geyser there is a long history of longevity and quality (assume no Chinese parts).

TS

I would echo that: separate tank means that if one fails the other can still be used. FYI: Solartechnics in Maine sells the Geyser, that's where I learned about it. Tom in Maine on this site owns the place and seems like a straight shooter. I considered the unit but have everything for a thermosiphon solar ready to go in.

I don't want to go through another summer heating dhw with my tarm wood boiler. I have a superstor hooked up to the oil burner, but the price of oil is high and looks like it's staying up there.
I've been thinking heat pump. Is anyone using a Hybrid Heat Pump Water Heater? The GE model comes with its own 50 gallon tank and electric back-up.
The Geyser system has been around for a while. Is there a benefit to go with the hybrid vs. the stand alone geyser?

I have used a Geyser for 2 years now. It is built like tank. No issues whatever.
Plumbed it in parallel with our existing 80 gall DHW tank.
Just needed some pex & fittings and I was good to go.

The existing oil system is used on very cold days in winter and the Geyser is used for the rest of the year.
Big summer savings as the oil burner is not putting excess heat into the house and the Geyser is pulling energy out of the basement into the DHW. Went from heating our DHW with 1 gall per day of oil to circa $15 per month of electric.

Really looking into the GE GeoSpring. 50 gallon tank, back up electric coils, same price as the geyser.

I just purchased the ao smith voltex phpt-60. It does pull a lot of water out of the basement air. Since I will only use in summer...I hope it will not be problematic because it only gets used 7 or 8 months a year. Love it so far

We have the GE unit, and it cut our hw electrical use significantly, and works well, but am concerned the electronics will fail prematurely, whereas the geyser is a pretty simple unit. It is in the basement, and the room it is in does stay cool, but I don't see much water being drained.

The geospring is the best investment I've made. No more summertime fires. Very efficient. Still new to me but I barely see an increase in my electric bill. It's almost like free hw. I got the extended warranty from lowes and I"m safe for the next ten years,

Status
Not open for further replies.