Hybrid pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

STANG302

Nov 10, 2009
Osceola, WI
Throwing this stupid question out there.

But what would prevent someone from creating a "hybrid" pellet?
Say 30% corn & 70% wood.

Could cracked corn be mixed with wood pulp and pressed through the dies?

Say 30% corn & 70% wood.

Just run the corn through a crusher or hammer mill and mix it in.. the only thing stopping people from doing is they dont have a pellet mill.

Reactions: bogieb

Say 30% corn & 70% wood.

Price to the consumer. I think the corn would have to be almost the same consistency as the wood pulp for it to bind good without the pellet breaking apart from chunks in it. Corn already fits down most augers without having to do anything to it except make sure it's dry and reasonably clean. Any additional processing will increase the price of the final product. I'm sure it would work and work rather well but the price would be an issue I think.

Price to the consumer. I think the corn would have to be almost the same consistency as the wood pulp for it to bind good without the pellet breaking apart from chunks in it. Corn already fits down most augers without having to do anything to it except make sure it's dry and reasonably clean. Any additional processing will increase the price of the final product. I'm sure it would work and work rather well but the price would be an issue I think.

I did find a couple videos of this being done when i first started researching the pellet mills. So its not something new.. but if corn was readily available cheap enough to add into a mix of "free" sawdust. I personally think it would be a good pellet.. the little bit of corn i added to the garbage pellets i have as a trial worked out pretty good.. the corn kept the pot a whole lot cleaner and helped with thw heat output. My problem with the kernals is that they randomly get caught between the auger and the tube. They never caused any issue other than the noise letting me know it was there. If it was pellet form, i dont think it would be as much of an issue. A bit of corn mixed with some good pellets.. well that i havnt tried yet.
But i agree a binding agent would be needed garunteed.

I did find a couple videos of this being done when i first started researching the pellet mills. So its not something new.. but if corn was readily available cheap enough to add into a mix of "free" sawdust. I personally think it would be a good pellet.. the little bit of corn i added to the garbage pellets i have as a trial worked out pretty good.. the corn kept the pot a whole lot cleaner and helped with thw heat output. My problem with the kernals is that they randomly get caught between the auger and the tube. They never caused any issue other than the noise letting me know it was there. If it was pellet form, i dont think it would be as much of an issue. A bit of corn mixed with some good pellets.. well that i havnt tried yet.
But i agree a binding agent would be needed garunteed.

I guess every stove is different, I've never had a problem with corn in the auger and I burn 100% corn, except a couple of handfuls of pellets to restart the stove after shut down.

I guess every stove is different, I've never had a problem with corn in the auger and I burn 100% corn, except a couple of handfuls of pellets to restart the stove after shut down.

You also have a multi fuel if im not mistaken. The 25 pdv is pellet only.
I know, simple solution. Buy another stove. Wish i could. But cant justify spending the money for no reason other than satisfying my personal need to experiment. :-/

Reactions: FirepotPete
I guess every stove is different, I've never had a problem with corn in the auger and I burn 100% corn.

Wife just yelled at me and said i need to fix it. (Kernal was getting creeked against the tube) She described it as "building pressure and getting ready to explode"
Couldnt help but laugh even tho she sounded serious. :rolleyes:

Issue I could see trying to sell the combo pellet is the vermin.

Issue I could see trying to sell the combo pellet is the vermin.

Never thought of that but YUP. Rodents can definitely sniff out corn. Years ago when I first started burning corn, I made sure that all my barrels and secondary tanks were sealed off after using them to transfer corn or while storing the corn. Not just the rodents but the corn moths can be a problem, so everything sealed. Pretty smart guy, I thought to myself. Dumbace me left the shopvac hose that goes to the cornvac unplugged, not covered. In the spring when I went to empty the shopvac bag to get ready for summer use, opps! Mice had crawled into the shopvac and destroyed the bag and HEPA filter.

The local squirrels and rabbits found the screenings this weekend. Other vermin that will add to the table fare this week. Wish it wasn't so cold that it makes the front door squeak.

Wish it wasn't so cold that it makes the front door squeak.

Ya, I hate it when my boogers freeze. Hey, at least we be burning, warm and with a few extra bucks in our pockets!

Status
Not open for further replies.