Hyd filter for my splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ampamp

Oct 31, 2010
Buffalo - Rochester
any tips on how to change out the h. filter on a splitter without making a huge mess. I'm only doing the filter....not the oil. It's a new unit and the filter itself is a bit rusty on the edges and want to switch it out after the break in period anyway. Will I loose much oil?

What type/brand of splitter?

Take a milk container and cut out the top so it is full open. Punch a hole in the bottom of the filter with a punch, done in the center. Leave the punch in the hole until you get the milk container under it, then start to unthread it. Once it is partially off, the fluid will run quickly. Let it run out and remove/reinstall new. This assumes the filter is mounted threads up.

Spin it off tip it up spin new one one. Less than a few sec's

If the filter is on the upper side of the return to the tank, you'll loose very little - take the advice of My Way and Smokin'

BUT, if it's lower than the tank - get ready for a bath!! There is no check valve between the filter housing and the tank - all the fluid wants to get out backwards through the housing from the tank. Gatta be quick with the new filter - or there's a slick in your future!! :)

either tilt it up on end, or put a shop vac on the filler port. Pulliing a vacuum in the tank minimizes the mess on big tanks.
for splitter, easiest to just tilt it up.

oil the gasket of new filter.

punching holes in filter cans makes a mess. I use KD metal strap type oil filter wrenches.

http://www.google.com/products/cata...q0QGjs4DoDw&ved=0CGwQ8gIwAg&biw=1248&bih=748#

They have no handle, just a 3/8 or 1/2 inch square hole to use a socket wrench, or extensions as needed. Awesome for crowded engine or hydraulic compartments.

spin off, spin on. No need to prefill as on an engine lube system as this is the return and it will purge of air.

What kind of splitter? I changed mine this year on my MTD. I removed the oil return line from the valve and let it and the filter drain into the tank. Lost only about a cup of oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.