Hydraulic dump trailer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henz

Mar 23, 2006
Northville, NY
Anyone have a hydraulic dump trailer that they use for firewood. I ahve been borrowing a buddy's 5'x8' trailer and man is that sweet. thinking aobut getting one but a used one goes for $2780, new $3500.. that is alot of $$ for other things!

Adirondackwoodburner said:
Anyone have a hydraulic dump trailer that they use for firewood. I ahve been borrowing a buddy's 5'x8' trailer and man is that sweet. thinking aobut getting one but a used one goes for $2780, new $3500.. that is alot of $$ for other things!
I was looking at them also, couldnt justify it. Unloading by hand is easier than loading it but, my back says get it anyway!

yeah I hear you...Lots of other things I could really use it for, haulting gravel, rocks etc....a ton of things but as long as my buddy leeps leting me use his I guess I will go that route. Dont like doing that though.

I bought my 5x8 EZDumper on EBay for a grand. It rocks. Just took a while to find it. Very useful for construction debris and mulch as well.

I also experimented with a 6x12 last year but loading that front four feet by hand sucks. It also got heavy enough that I knew I was towing something and had to adjust my driving. Dumping it this Spring.

damn, I wish I had your luck..the cheapest one I ahve found was $2500!

It was very well used when I bought it.

Yeah, I got one. I like it a lot. Use it for a number of things. Not exactly what I'd call a "must have", though. Rick

Attachments

• dump.jpg
    dump.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 2,502
Anyone have a hydraulic dump trailer that they use for firewood. I ahve been borrowing a buddy's 5'x8' trailer and man is that sweet. thinking about getting one but a used one goes for $2780, new $3500.. that is alot of $$ for other things!

I have a fewdump trailers 10' and 12' and yes they are very sweet you need a heavy duty truck to pull it Ive bought all of mine for between 1800 & 2500 they where all like new when i bought them . I have a line on a 7000lb dump for 12000 bucks. 2700 is to much for a 8' dump . John

I'll post some pics in the next day or two, but my dad picked one up from a guy that owed him some money. I know nothing more about it than the size, which is 5x8 interior dimensions. Definitely a bonus, but I'll concur that it is far from a necessary item. Loaded full of wet oak, it wouldn't dump. I had to unload some of the front before it would work. Undersized cylinder, parthaps? Not really sure. With a mystery softwood it dumped just fine. I had it hooked to the tractor, and found myself raising the dump, moving the tractor forward, running back to raise the dump, moving the tractor forward, etc. Perhaps it's just this particular trailer, as it is lower to the ground than, say, a dump bed on a truck. Still, way more handy than manually unloading. Even so, I wouldn't drop $2500 on one if it didn't work any better than this one.

Drive fast in reverse. Hit the brakes hard. It'll unload.

I have been using this- it is 5X8 -We bought it last year new for like 3500 and I has been great for wood and when I put the new roof on the house I was able to take the old one to the dump myself which saved having a dumpster and the ruts it would have left on the front lawn, plus it only weights like 1800lbs so you can tow it safely with just about any truck or SUV.

Attachments

• trailer & Burb.jpg
    trailer & Burb.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 2,880
Nice dump. If you throw some sides on that, you will be able to get more in and keep law enforcement off your back. I ran mine almost as high as the roof on the Suburban and get about 1.3 cord in it stacked. It's also nice for keeping the wind off construction debris on your way to the dump.

thats exactly what I would want. My buddies trailer is that same size but he added some plocks under the suspension to raise the trailer up like 5" or something like that so it sits higher and has more clearance to dump when you on uneven ground. He also has sides on it and the front half is enclosed since he has a big commercial chipper and blows his chips in it as well. I ahve a 2001 Durango V* and have had no trouble pulling a fulll trailer of green hardwood up a relatively steep gravel road (and down it) so I am not too worried about pulling capacity. Now if I can just find one for under 2k I would be extatic!

My advice, borrow until you find something you like that fits economically. $3G is alot of money to be shelling out for a trailer if you already have one you can use. The only other less expensive option is to buy an older dump truck. I've seen plenty for less that $1800. Not to pretty but will get the job done. I had full use of a trailer a friend of mine bought until another friend borrowed it and basically "claimed" it as his. Instead of dealing with the BS I bought my own. It's not a dump but will get the job done.

well, I ahve come up with another plan. I have another buddy that needs one and might be interested in going 1/2's. This trailer also has brakes and the roll cover etc. Still thinking about it

I paid $2400 for mine new about 6 years ago. One of the best things I bought. Mine has a capacity of 5000 lbs, and I have hauled 5000 lbs of gravel. I put wood sides on it to raise it up. It handles the weight of the wood much better than the truck does. I use it for lots of different things, just wish I had bought one earlier.

well, I ahve come up with another plan. I have another buddy that needs one and might be interested in going 1/2's. This trailer also has brakes and the roll cover etc. Still thinking about it

Do NOT buy one without brakes. It will consume the brakes on light duty trucks very quickly especially in the mountains and if stopping from any kind of speed.

Also, you made a comment earlier about ground clearance. There are different hydraulic layouts in these trailers. Mine has what I consider a very exposed cylinder and hydraulic connection which I broke once on one of our roads through the woods up north. I no longer pull it with my tractor through the woods...it only goes where I would take my truck.

yes I agree. the one I ahve been borrowing does not have breaks and at times I wish it did!

SolarAndWood said:
I also experimented with a 6x12 last year but loading that front four feet by hand sucks. It also got heavy enough that I knew I was towing something and had to adjust my driving. Dumping it this Spring.

Probably more than I cna safely spend, but what do you think you;'re looking for? I've got a 3/4 ton truck so the load weight isn't that big a deal. I want the room.

mayhem said:
SolarAndWood said:

Probably more than I cna safely spend, but what do you think you;'re looking for? I've got a 3/4 ton truck so the load weight isn't that big a deal. I want the room.

I PMd you the details and a picture.

My buddy has a Bri-Mar dump and that thing has paid for itself many times over. For hauling logs, I am fine with my trailer [Bri-Mar with no dump]. I pick them up and stack them - if they were dumped, I would still have to pick them up and stack them. It is a drag when i have to shovel 3 yards of mulch out of my trailer...

Don't know how handy you are but I pickup a old wagon hoist for $30.00 at a auction and mounted it under a three quarter ton chevy pickup box trailer and with side boards it hauls a split cord of wood thrown in and dumps nice. Just found a old grain truck that some one cut the cab off and put a goose neck hitch on it for $500.00 it had the hoist but no power pack so I installed one and now haul three split cords of wood with it and it dumps nice. I would not be with out dumps.

Status
Not open for further replies.