hydraulic fliud level

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adrpga498

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2005
New Jersey
I just bought a new splitter which requires 3.5 gallons of fluid. I ran a few splits just to look things over. Did the dip stick test after about 20 minutes to see level of fluid. Stick was dry. I figured a brand new filter and hosees had to be purged etc. I have added another2 quarts and still dry stick. My question is...normal for this much fluid to be added for 1st. run? Thanks iin advance fo ryour input.

The filter will hold a quart and the lines and pump will hold two or three. Filler up again and you should be fine.

Thats what I had suspected , thanks Brother, Sears and it was empty upon delivery,which I understood. Thanks again guys.

Like every thing else that reminds me of a story. I bought my Duerr splitter at Lowes in 1988. Assembled and full of fluid (over a case of hydraulic fluid at buck and a quarter a quart) it was $150 extra. I bought one dry and unassembled. When I pulled up to the dock with the pickup ticket the kid said "Oh man. Not another one of those damned things! They are on the top rack and they are heavy."

He left and a few minutes later came back towing an assembled one and asked if I would take it. I told him "Fine. I just need to drop my trailer here, tow it home and come back for the trailer." I did.

When I got home I noticed that I didn't have the manual and paper work so the next week I went back. I asked the department manager for the docs. He gave me a nasty look and said "So you're the one.". I looked at him and said "If you mean 'You're the customer then you are correct.".

He stomped off and a few minutes later brought back the stuff and dumped it on top of a washing machine and walked off. Methinks the profit on that splitter evaporated into hydraulic fluid and assembly.

Little unknow info Walmart sell Hydro fluid cheap in 2 and 5 gal quanities. Been running it in my JD 500C backhoe for years and also in my 16 ton electric log splitter dump truck bob cat and shovel dozer. Works for me Why buy quarts when you need gallons. Also fill er up not part way

BrotherBart said:
The filter will hold a quart and the lines and pump will hold two or three. Filler up again and you should be fine.
What Brotherbart said.

Status
Not open for further replies.