1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Hydraulic fluid for MTD/TB gas splitter

Post in 'The Gear' started by Jay H, May 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jay H

Jay H New Member

Loc:
    NJ
    From the manual"

So I can actually use ATF? The unit has hydraulic fluid in it, but I don't know if the dealer bled the pump yet which is self-bleeding so the manual says run the wedge 12 times with a full cycle and then check the hyd. fluid reservoir level and top off so I plan on doing this afterwork after picking up some hydraulic oil or ATF....

Jay

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    The consensus at Habor Freight was that it didn't make that much of a difference.
    Auto trans fluid might be good if you'll use it in winter, but I imagine it'll warm up at some point.
    I've read not to overfill, cause the fluid expands and could spill out.
    I guess I'll have to "top up" too on mine, but mine does not have a dipstick.
    The literature just said to fill up with xx quarts (I forget).
    I'd try to match the fluid though.
  3. Bones

Bones Member

Loc:
    Tennessee
    Do not mix them !!!!
  4. Jay H

Jay H New Member

Loc:
    NJ
    I bought the Pro-Mix AW 32 from Lowes, I have a feeling they are related anyway since Lowes carries the Troy/Bilt and Pro-Mix stuff and that's the only hydraulic fluid I could find there anyway and it's mentioned by name in the TB manual...

Topped it off and split about a cord of wood on sunday... busy busy busy... I will finish off the rounds I have today and then I start cutting more!

Jay
  5. snowfreak

snowfreak New Member

Loc:
    Altona, NY
    I ran Dexron III in mine all last year (about 10 full cord) and the fluid looked and smelled good when I replaced it. I think this year I'll just replace the filter if the fluid looks that good again.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.