Hydraulic fluid for MTD/TB gas splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay H

Nov 20, 2006
NJ
From the manual"

3. Fill the reservoir tank with hydraulic fluid included with
this unit (if equipped) or approved fluids which include
Dexron® III / Mercon® III automatic transmission fluid,
a 10 Weight AW hydraulic oil or Pro-Mix™ AW-32
Hydraulic Oil.

So I can actually use ATF? The unit has hydraulic fluid in it, but I don't know if the dealer bled the pump yet which is self-bleeding so the manual says run the wedge 12 times with a full cycle and then check the hyd. fluid reservoir level and top off so I plan on doing this afterwork after picking up some hydraulic oil or ATF....

Jay

The consensus at Habor Freight was that it didn't make that much of a difference.
Auto trans fluid might be good if you'll use it in winter, but I imagine it'll warm up at some point.
I've read not to overfill, cause the fluid expands and could spill out.
I guess I'll have to "top up" too on mine, but mine does not have a dipstick.
The literature just said to fill up with xx quarts (I forget).
I'd try to match the fluid though.

Bones said:
Do not mix them !!!!

I bought the Pro-Mix AW 32 from Lowes, I have a feeling they are related anyway since Lowes carries the Troy/Bilt and Pro-Mix stuff and that's the only hydraulic fluid I could find there anyway and it's mentioned by name in the TB manual...

Topped it off and split about a cord of wood on sunday... busy busy busy... I will finish off the rounds I have today and then I start cutting more!

Jay

I ran Dexron III in mine all last year (about 10 full cord) and the fluid looked and smelled good when I replaced it. I think this year I'll just replace the filter if the fluid looks that good again.

Status
Not open for further replies.