hydraulic oil cooler for splitter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelthomas

Feb 10, 2006
Has anybody ever installed a hydraulic oil cooler for their splitter to keep the fluid temp down? I have a cooler on my tractor for that reason. I found this on E-bay that seems like it would be pretty easy to plumb in.

Attachments

• Oil cooler.jpg
    Oil cooler.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 1,181
My oil has never gotten hot enough to worry about cooling. The large tank does a good enough job cooling the oil.

I've never noticed my splitter getting hot.

If the heat was a problem, I'm sure we would have read about it here. There is too large of a group of woodburners here to have a problem like that go unmentioned.

Matt

What is 'hot'? 125 F is perfect, quite cool, yet hot enough to drive off moisture. 140 F is fine for oil. 160 F not so good, but common in industrial settings.

Logsplitters should be very cool.
excess heat means you have as problem. Oil is going across a large pressure drop without doing work. i.e. a leak, piston seals, restricted lines, or too much time holding the lever with cylinder stalled and sending oil across the relief valve.

Add a pressure gauge out of the pump or at P inlet to the manual valve and we can help you diagnose it.

kcj

Makes sense in lots of hydraulic applications that are under constant or near-constant heavy load conditions...overkill for a logsplitter, methinks. I wouldn't bother. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.