Hydraulic reservoir question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KYrob

Jan 8, 2010
KY
I am getting the parts together to build a splitter. I have a cylinder that has a 5" bore and a 24" stroke. The shaft is 2". How many gallons does my reservoir need to be? I found a formula online and it said the cylinder itself would hold 8 gallons but that seems a bit much. Not sure if I calculated it right. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Rob

when I built mine, I put a 10 gallon res. Only because that is what the local parts store had on sale at the time. the bigger the res the cooler the fluid will run. Go bigger rather then smaller. I would look online and see how big the commercially available splitters ( with a similar set up to yours) have for a res tank and go from there.

'bert

Tank size should be based on the pump volume, 1 gallon of tank size per gallon/min. of pump capacity minimum. For example, a ten gallom per minute pump requires a ten gallon tank.

Dunes suggestion is quite "clinical" for industrial application. I do suggest that maybe it is a little over kill for a splitter though.

I have the same cylinder as you do and I run a 16 GPM pump. I run no more than about seven gallons in the tank, BUT the tank is large and dissipates heat well. It NEVER gets over slightly warm.

But I also don't want to mis-lead you. For a hydraulic tank - bigger is always better than smaller.

I bought a 5 gallon pail of oil for mine when it was new and it would not all fit in. The oil was expensive... sure wouldn't want to buy 10 gallons if I didn't have to. Perhaps a larger surface area would suffice to keep the oil cool enough.

I don't know the rating for the cylinder but my tank is huge way over 5 gal. The tank extends the full length of the beam.
All the new models use trans fluid instead of regular hydro oil it's alot thinner allowing you to use it all winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.