Hydraulic seals

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
Now for the purchase of new seals for my splitter. Don't know the brand of the cylinder. Anyone know the best way to buy them? There are 7 in total ranging in size from 2 1/4 to 4 5/8. The ID of the cylinder is 5" and the ram is 2".
I believe the splitter is an old Ramsplitter. I spoke to the company and they are no help. They say it was purchased and sold numerous times since. They were a lot of help!
I assume I should go to a retail store. Any suggestions in north cental NJ?

Attachments

• hyd seals.jpg
    hyd seals.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 223
A good heavy duty equipment shop should be able to hook you up, assuming they have a halfway decent parts counter. Hell, NAPA might even have what you need.

There are also specialty Hydraulic shops that probably have what you need.

You did the work, take it by a hydraulic shop & get the right parts. Special rubber compound , not just an "O" ring for a garden hose ;)
Been years, but I think "Buna N" or something like that for the material the "O" rings are made of.
Thickness of the "O" rings too.
Take the old ones with you, have the ram in the car in case needed.
I'm guessing standard size , off the shelf "O" rings at a hydraulic shop. (Heavy equip shop)
Yellow pages : Hydraulic repair ;)

5" Cylinder, Big boy splitter, 30 ton or bigger.

hydr cyl repair shop the best place.
If all are just orings, an industrial bearing and seal house will have them. there are 'Uniform numbers', AS568, sizes. Look up a Parker seals and oring catalog. It hass all the - numbers and dimensions. Buna N, (Nitrile) is the material for oil Viton is good for high temps, but leaks too much at cold temps. Use Nitrile. only quesiton is hardness N70 or N90.
If you need backup washers, then the hydr house is best.

Status
Not open for further replies.