hydraulic splitter broke

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nrcrash

Apr 17, 2012
MA
I was in the process of spitting a big narley piece of wood and the spitter broke threw the piece, when I went to retract the piston it only returned a couple inches and then all of a sudden the splitter extended the piston completely and will not retract. Any idea what I did to it?

Possibly blew oring (seal) inside cyl on piston,,, oil bypassing instead of shoving cyl

if cyl is now extended,,,loosen hose fitting at extended end of cyl,,,,move lever to the direction that would extend it more,,,if oil comes out hard,,,it is bypassing.

If not bypassing, probly in the valve. Pretty much there is a cyl,valve and pump that can break,,,everything else is just plumbing.

Last edited:
It could be the cylinder. I had one act loke that before. The nut came off the rod and the packing came off the rod and it would extend out in both directions of the lever

Reactions: triptester
Status
Not open for further replies.