Hydraulic Valve on old Brave Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

razzorm

Oct 26, 2008
Berkshires, Western MA
For a long time my hydraulic valve would sometimes stay in return position without me having to hold it.
Now it has to be held in reverse position all the time. I have taken things apart and taken pictures
for this post. I can't find mfg. name on valve.

Any advice on possible remidy would be appreciated.

Thanks
Ray M
View attachment 74648 002.JPG 003.JPG

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 186
It looks to me like it may be an old Cross valve, they are a very common valve. Does it still stick with the cap off? If so the spool it's self is sticking and may have a score on it or just be gummed up. The lock/return section (on the end of the spool with the spring) looks like it may be the problem. Remove the bolt on the end and things should slide off Pay attention to the order that they come off in. Clean things up and see if that takes care of the problem. It is very common to have that type of problem since it sits for much of the time.
Tractor supply has new valves so don't waste a lot of time on it.

I took it apart and cleaned it up this afternoon. Put it back together and there is no change in operation.
With the cap off the handle does stays in the reverse position but this is because there is no spring resistance due to the cap being off.
Replacement of the valve is probably the best answer.
I'm looking at Northern Tool site and see two options, detent/kickout and spring centered directional. What is the difference?

Thanks
Ray M.

Detent/kickout is what you have now, you can lock it into "retract" and it will unlock when it hits the end. Center spring is the type that returns to neutral when you let go of the handle.

Inside the collar at the end there are usually a couple spring loaded ball bearings and the collar will have one groove around the inside diameter. The detent won't hold if the balls stick or the spring is broke. A lenghtwise groove may be worn into the collar. Try rotating the collar a quarter turn so the detent balls ride in a unworn area.

Thanks to greg13 & triptester for the comments.

I had no spring loaded ball bearings inside the collar, they were gone, this was probably my problem.

For now I have removed the washer under the bolt head on the end of the spool. I also removed the sleeve and the large roundish
washer at the other end of assembly. Now the valve will go to reverse with no resistance and stay there. Valve kicks into neutral at
full return due to cylinder head physical contact with valve handle (see pictures). I have a very little forward creep with handle in neutral
but other than that the splitter works better than it has in a long time.

001.JPG002.JPG

Thanks again
Ray M.

Status
Not open for further replies.