Hydrometers? Any good ones?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CenterTree

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 15, 2008
SouthWest-Central PA
Wanting to get a decent indoor hygrometer. I have one built into the Heat Pump wall display, but want one for the basement and other rooms too. Curious about the indoor humidity.

Been looking in stores. My question is : How is it that when I look at 4 different ones on the retail shelf, I see 4 different read-outs? Seems like a dead give away as to a crappy brand to buy.

I notice this with thermometers also on store shelves. Shouldn't they all be the same? :mad: GEEEEZ!

Anyone have / recommend a GOOD indoor Hydrometer?;? Thanks.

I was given a LaCrosse indoor / outdoor remote weather station last summer and I've been impressed with how well it reads indoor humidity.

519lULOGxfL._SP160,160,0,T_.jpg

My other electronic thermometers / hygrometers always seemed to read too low (AcuRite). Ironically, most of the AcuRite units seem to have higher reviews on amazon that the LaCrosse ones, maybe I just was unlucky before and hit the jackpot this time.

In all, this one has been accurate enough that I finally packed up my old Taylor Wet / Dry bulb unit. It works great, but filling the glass bowl and keeping it clean gets old.

657889630-Taylor_2.jpg

Mine looks like this except it has a rotating chart in between the thermometers to determine the relative humidity.

pen

Reactions: CenterTree
A sling psychrometer is accurate and you can compare your hygrometer for accuracy with one. They're more of a techy thing for meteorologists and HVAC types. I have a couple of them somewhere around here...

Status
Not open for further replies.