1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Hydronic Questions

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by Mtn Fire, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Mtn Fire

Mtn Fire New Member

Loc:
    New Mexico
    Hello out there,

On a typical hydronic gasifier, how much powder or creosote is brushed out during an annual cleaning of the exhaust and heat exchanger tubes?

thanks in advance,

Alex

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. AroostookDave

AroostookDave Member

Loc:
    Aroostook River Maine
    I clean the tubes monthly - after I clean the ashes from the lower firebox, I reach into the top access, bang each turbulator up and down a couple of inches to knock the ashes off and then scrape the base again. Usually not much ashes but worth doing. 2 or 3 times a year I get the brush out, but never run into creosote, so no big job. I clean the horizontal section of the flue a couple of times per year, but never find more than a thin coating of fine ash at the bottom.
  3. Mtn Fire

Mtn Fire New Member

Loc:
    New Mexico
    thank you,

Alex
  4. bmblank

bmblank Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    My dad and brother are in the once a year club. Through the entire chimney there's maybe a gallon and a half of creosote. That's probably 30 feet out so of chimney.
  5. Mtn Fire

Mtn Fire New Member

Loc:
    New Mexico
    Hello,

Is the creosote in the boiler or just in the chimney? Thanks for your reply.
  6. BoilerMan

BoilerMan Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Maine
    A properly tuned and seasoned wood burning gasser produces no creosote, just a grey-black flyash. Creosote is an indication of something not correct or a lot of idleing.

TS
  7. Rory

Rory Member

Loc:
    Central Me
    I agree. I'm on my 5th season with my Tarm Solo 30, and I have yet to see any creosote in my chimney. I clean my heat exchanger tubes a handful of times each year, and all I get is fly ash. I've burned a fair share of softwood in my mix, too, but still no creosote.
  8. bmblank

bmblank Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Ok, i guess i call fly ash creosote. I get a little creosote in the firebox near the door, i open the door too often, its still new to me. Anyway, i clean out the secondary every burn or couple of burns and get about half a gallon of fly ash.
  9. James Reimer

James Reimer New Member

Loc:
    Winker, Manitoba
    I run a brush through my horizontal tubes once a week as part of the regular cleaning cycle. Takes only a few minutes and I get maybe a cup of dry ash a week from the tubes themselves.
  10. Mtn Fire

Mtn Fire New Member

Loc:
    New Mexico
    thank you,

Alex
  11. Mtn Fire

Mtn Fire New Member

Loc:
    New Mexico
    Thank you,

Alex
  12. Mtn Fire

Mtn Fire New Member

Loc:
    New Mexico
    Thanks,

Alex
  13. McKraut

McKraut Member

Loc:
    South Central PA
    Alex,

I clean my exchangers (eight of them) once a year and I get less then a soda can of residue out of them. I've never had creosote in my chimney. The only blockage I ever had was a starling that decided to fall down the chimney and wedge himself in there. After I put a "roof" on my chimney, I've never had anything to clean out. I hope my two cents help you.

Bob
  14. Mtn Fire

Mtn Fire New Member

Loc:
    New Mexico
    Thank You Bob,

Alex