Hypothetically

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RCR

Nov 4, 2012
Newbie looking to purchase tractor trailer load of pellets for my M55 cast... JUST KIDDING ....I know I know try before you buy. Seriously I will be going to pellets direct for a variety of pellets to get started. Knowing that the coldest part of the season will be soon upon us.... and I dont even have a starter stash started. and assuming that all this selection is availible (and lets keep $ out of the discussion for the moment as I will be trying a few varieties of only 10 bags for now instead of ton commitment.)

if you were standing there loading your truck what order would you purchase based on real world experience.

http://pelletsdirect.com/Wood Pellet Pricing.htm

1 Lacrete
2 North Country
3 Trebio
4 Geneva
5 Power house
6 Barefoot
7 PWI

Wild card from another vendor

8 Vermont wood pellet

where do you live?

northern connecticut

I haven't considered price, just quality. Also gotta throw out North Country as its new and I haven't burned it/heard of any reviews. Could be an awesome pellet, BUT? The unknown gets it overlooked.

First to last
4-5 tie

I'd also add Spruce Pointes at $269/ton and place them tie with second with the PWI. ;)

*=note: I also haven't burned Trebio, Going on the reviews I have heard.

I haven't seen many reviews for Green gold around these parts. Do folks burn them? Are they hot? They are priced like they are hot...

Greene Gold, Platinum and Green Team are all the same pellet, all different from Green Supreme. They get confused a lot. Green Gold, etc. are a good hardwood pellet with good heat but a little on the ashy side. Up until last December, Greene Team were were sold at Lowes for the same price as any other pellet. Then they introduced the Gold or Platinum, depending on where you live. And raised the price a LOT. Many here are boycotting them because they aren't worth the price.

I would go Barefoots, La Cretes, and Spruce Pointes. You should also stop by Robbins Garden Center in Oxford to see if they have any more douglas fir pellets. I've burned some and those are by far the least amount of ash and great heat. Very pricey though.

Status
Not open for further replies.