I’m in love with Pine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mlasko

Sep 24, 2008
Western PA
Man,
Using the advice on here, I gathered all the pine that nobody wants. People actually still think I crazy to burn it. I just shrug and say, "bring in on by" or "tell me when I can pick it up".....I split that stuff six months ago and it burns hot and fast....perfect for this shoulder season....everytime I throw a stick in the fire, I feel a little guilty more people don't burn it....then I snicker and think to myself, "suckers"

I save mine to heat my home period... Spruce and poplar in the shoulder seasons and pine when it gets cold to get the longer burns. :wow: Enjoy!!!

I'm gonna have to try it. I always thought you couldn't/shouldn't until I went to Canada last May on a fishing trip. Our guide, who was a retired logger, knew more about wood then I'll ever know. He told me "oh yeah you can burn it ehh?" nuff said

Around here the "rule of thumb" for many people is that it plugs chimneys and causes fires. I just tell those folks it's a wonder a house is standing out west or up north. I honestly don't think they realize that pine is about the only fuel source for MANY people.

The key, as with anything, is proper seasoning.

pen

I am just sorry that I only have one more pine tree on the place to bring down and add to the stash. I guess I will have to call a couple of tree services and tell them to save a landfill fee and drop it off here since the landfill is just down the road. I am getting to old for lugging trees out of the woods so just having it dropped off would offset any burn time difference as far as I am concerned. We don't get cold in Virginia anyway according to a lot of people. :lol:

Hell, may buy me one of those Blaze Kings that can burn for 2.5 months on one load of pine splits. :coolsmirk:

I have lots of white pine and mix it in with the cherry, oak and sugar maple. It's great for the shoulder seasons, to get a fire going quickly, and to burn down coals. I often find myself asking the kids specifically to bring in some pine.

I too am in love with the pine. I can only hope my wife is not reading this.

Pine full of sap. It crackles and burns great, but only use pine every know and then.

mackconsult said:
Pine full of sap. It crackles and burns great, but only use pine every know and then.

Wrong! Burn it all you want. It's wood & has the same BTU per pound as hardwood.
It weighs less than oak or maple or whatever, & you'll use more,
but it's totally safe when properly seasoned...

Started burnin pine this fall.
From what I learned from y'all it aint what all these locals make it out to be(THE DEVIL)
Been stuffin the stove with it during the day and savin the hard stuff for all nighters.
I like it ,burns good, hot, and not a lot of ash.

I've enjoyed burning it so far. It's great becaue so many people just give it way due to all the "rumors". I've gotten to the point where I just tell people that I'm using it in a firepit; I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth when someone is giving me free firewood.

I have two cords of it ready to go this winter. Nothing wrong with the stuff.

LOL!!! My friends act as if it was the h1n1 virus and it seems that where spoiled with hardwood in the northeast and if you have limited room to store wood pine is not an option. In the last 3 weeks I picked up about two cords of a mix of hickory,oak,ash,cherry,silver an yellow birch and hard maple Its been good so far knock on wood.... but I am cutting down a small pine and it is going in the wood pile I want to experience it to ....

Does my language below say it is bad in some way to burn pine????

DAKSY said:
mackconsult said:

Wrong! Burn it all you want. It's wood & has the same BTU per pound as hardwood.
It weighs less than oak or maple or whatever, & you'll use more,
but it's totally safe when properly seasoned...

I hope the Pine lovers don't get all religious on us like the Wonderful Fiskars fanboys did.

DSCF0002.jpg

I cut up some fairly large white pine branches that came down last winter . . . and I've been burning them this Fall. Loving the pine . . . fast, hot fires . . . and they're kind of fun if you're looking for a little of that snap, crackle and pop in your woodstove. I don't, of course, use this wood for my overnight fires, but during the days and evenings it's a great wood.

My dog did that any ways .....

Jags said:
Burning pine makes your dog rub his butt across the carpet.

How about a pine and willow salad to take the chill off! I've been burning some of this over the past week. I found it amazing how light the seasoned pine and willow were.

I loaded up on some pine last spring. It burns great I'm hoping to get more for next year.
Does anyone else have this problem of trying to explain that pine is ok to burn. Then you get
looked at like your nuts

no man said:
I loaded up on some pine last spring. It burns great I'm hoping to get more for next year.
Does anyone else have this problem of trying to explain that pine is ok to burn. Then you get
looked at like your nuts

yup. some people just dont get it. i even had to explain to my mother that pine was okay to burn, and she knows nothing about wood burning and had heard the pine is bad myth.

CowboyAndy said:
yup. some people just dont get it. i even had to explain to my mother that pine was okay to burn, and she knows nothing about wood burning and had heard the pine is bad myth.

Where does pine compare to basswood? Incidentally, there are some chunks of it in the stove right now.

SolarAndWood said:
Where does pine compare to basswood? Incidentally, there are some chunks of it in the stove right now.

Blaze King stoves can burn for 2.5 months on one load of pine, basswood, Budweiser cartons or toilet paper rolls.

Status
Not open for further replies.