I’m in love with Pine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BrotherBart said:
Blaze King stoves can burn for 2.5 months on one load of pine, basswood, Budweiser cartons or toilet paper rolls.

I've noticed that...except we only burn fine Utica based product cardboard in this house.

I burn some pine as well as basswood. I think the basswood is much easier to split, I shy away from pine sometimes because of having to split it by hand. I think they are comparable when I burn them. And people around me are always putting pine down too. Just means more for me!

Well, now...since the "authorities" (presumably much smarter about it all than I am) can't even agree on exactly how many species of Pine there are (anywhere from 105-125), it seems to me that when we're all here yakkin' about burning Pine, we just might not all be talking about the same tree. Different types of Pine have different characteristics. Figure out just what kind of Pine you're burning and report back. Rick

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine

Hi Fossil,

Just starting to get cold her in NJ/USA. I still have not started burning.

I do burn mostly hardwood, as is true of many in the Northeast. But, I have a lot of White Pine and Eastern Red Cedar... and I burn any that needs trimming or comes down in storms. I hardly notice the difference until I pick it up, the pine that is, as it is lighter. Some can tell just be looking at the split, I can't.

I haven't burned it, but I haven't gotten any either. What is the basic seasoning procedure for pine? Year? I'd be more than happy to take some, but usually they are calling me about the hard woods.
As a side, how is the sap while you are cutting? I'd really hate to come home as a pseudo pine cone.
Chad

fossil said:
Different types of Pine have different characteristics. Figure out just what kind of Pine you're burning and report back. Rick

FREE PINE.

Purty hard to tell what type it is after it's cut down, bucked, and the needles are gone. Plus, region doesn't really help 'cuz most of what I get is "Yard Wood" and not necessarily any species even remotely native to this area.

I don't cut my own, but I've gotten purty sappy (sapped?) when splitting pine.

Peace,
- Sequoia

heppm01 said:
You're all a bunch of knuckle-draggers.

That's right, we are.
I got a BIG PINE club too, c'mon over, I'll show it to you!
Caveman-LowRes.jpg

fossil said:
Well, now...since the "authorities" (presumably much smarter about it all than I am) can't even agree on exactly how many species of Pine there are (anywhere from 105-125), it seems to me that when we're all here yakkin' about burning Pine, we just might not all be talking about the same tree. Different types of Pine have different characteristics. Figure out just what kind of Pine you're burning and report back. Rick

technically speaking, the only actual pine ive burnd is a little bit of red pine. but i burn alot of 2x4's which are actually spruce and close enough to pine IMO. but i have a cord of red pine and jack pine on tap for kindling next year.

chad3 said:
I haven't burned it, but I haven't gotten any either. What is the basic seasoning procedure for pine? Year? I'd be more than happy to take some, but usually they are calling me about the hard woods.
As a side, how is the sap while you are cutting? I'd really hate to come home as a pseudo pine cone.
Chad

I picked some up over the summer. It was a large tree that was cut down in the winter/spring? I split the rounds and they've been sitting since August. I'll toss a few in this weekend and report back. It may still be a bit wet. Some of the rounds were pretty darn thick.

I have about 5 cords of pine in the yard right now, 3 are seasoned, 2 are for next year. I usually go through about 3 cords of hardwood and 2 or 3 cords of pine per year. I'm burning some pine right now and lovin it. I haven't had any creosote issues, I find that some of the pine seasons in as little as 6 months, but I always check it with the meter to be sure. Now when I say pine I could very easily be talking about spruce or some other softwood, but it all fits in the stove so I burn it!

I do get pretty sappy sometimes when cutting and splitting, but on the plus side it does smell nice. Oh and I always get the typical questions about if I'm using this outside or if I have an outdoor wood boiler. I've tried several times to educate people about how you can burn pine, now I've just given up and I tell them it's for an outside fire pit.

Wait. You people are burning pine in your STOVES?! :bug:

lulz j/k zomg

pinus strobus AKA eastern white pine

It sure would be nice to have a feed auger like a pellet stove. This stuff burns hot and fast.

I should stack it out front.
No one will steal it, and it sure is impressive to carry 30 or 40 splits when seasoned without breaking a sweat.
With one hand behind my back.
Barefoot.
Both ways.

billb3 said:
No one will steal it...
And they will stay away cuz obviously a crazy person lives there. %-P

LLigetfa said:
billb3 said:
No one will steal it...
And they will stay away cuz obviously a crazy person lives there. %-P