1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

I’m just glad no one caught me on video

Post in 'The Gear' started by davidfishlock, Dec 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidfishlock

davidfishlock New Member

Loc:
    SW ohio
    Hey, fellas. Ok, so all I wanted for Christmas was a Fiskars Super Splitting axe, and lo and behold, Santa brought me one. I've been using a number of different mauls over the years, all ranging around 6-8 lbs. So I go out to the pile this morning, rarin' to go with my new axe (only about 4 lbs., mind you.) I get a choice piece of oak onto the block, raise the axe over my head, and come down with all my might. The axe promptly bounces off the wood and the back end of it slams back into my forehead. About a one-inch wide, very deep gash. I had to go into work this afternoon, and boy, I'm never gonna live this one down. My buddies already think I'm nuts for how much I love to split wood, and now I show up looking like a wounded war veteran with a SELF-INFLICTED wound. Strangely, the main thing that was going through my mind was, "If I try it again tomorrow, I wonder if the bleeding will start again?"

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Jack Straw

Jack Straw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schoharie County, N Y
    Do you live with someone that can keep an eye on you tonight. Head wounds can do some strange things to a person. I know I'm being a little too careful, but you just never know.....
  3. realstihl

realstihl Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    eastern kansas
    One word. "STITCHES"
  4. davidfishlock

davidfishlock New Member

Loc:
    SW ohio
    Thanks for the concern. My wife will be taking care of me. She really wanted me to go get stitches today, but I thought I'd give it the night to watch and wait. I'll have it looked at tomorrow if need be.
  5. cmonSTART

cmonSTART Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Antrim, NH
    Well, glad you're more or less OK. But, I have to ask how it happened? I'm trying to picture this in my head.
  6. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    doh! remember, safety first!

[​IMG]
  7. heffergm

heffergm Member

Loc:
    South Shore, MA
    I can understand... I've just started using a fiskars pro splitting axe and I've noticed two things: a propensity to bounce back on occasion and, if you come down at an angle, the possibility of the head shooting off to one side goes up exponentially.

I keep the first in mind and it's a non issue. I make sure when I start to tire I take a break because when you're fatigued you tend to have less control of the axe head and you can end up with it buried in your shin. The fiskars is great, just need to be a little extra careful.
  8. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    I think you should sue Fiskars. Those short straight handles are downright dangerous. No matter how trendy they are, you won't see me using one.

Hope you don't end up like Billy Mays. A bump on the head could be serious.
  9. heffergm

heffergm Member

Loc:
    South Shore, MA
    I don't know if they're trendy, but I do know I love mine. You just need to elevate what you're splitting. I like the handle.
  10. LLigetfa

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    Sounds like he DID elevate it. Maybe not enough.
  11. heffergm

heffergm Member

Loc:
    South Shore, MA
    Elevating or not doesn't effect the bounce (in my experience). It is important if you want to help avoid chopping your legs off.
  12. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    A video might have earned you ten grand on the funniest home video show, if it is still on.
  13. LLigetfa

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    Or a million in a law suit.
  14. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    After the lawyer's cut you would still just get $10,000.
  15. davidfishlock

davidfishlock New Member

Loc:
    SW ohio
    I wish I could tell you all how this happened, but frankly, it happened too fast. The top of my oak was about 32" off the ground, a comfortable height for me. The head of the axe came down square onto the wood (and then came up square into my forehead.) The only explanation I have is that it has been raining here in southern Ohio the last couple of days, and my wood to be split is not covered. Maybe the top of the oak got spongy from sitting out, and that made it send the axe back into my face. I've never had that happen with my other mauls, but again, this is the first time I've used a Fiskars. I will definitely be watching out for bounce-back in the future. That is, as soon as my wife lets me go down to the woodpile again without an EMT present.
  16. nojo

nojo New Member

Loc:
    Western/cent Mass
    I had a similar incident last year. Not with splitting wood though. I am a Farrier (Horseshoer) and I was running out of propane, so the shoe was getting cold so I was wailing on it harder. Anyway shoe got too cold and the hammer glanced off the shoe on a full force blow and instantly rebounded me in the forehead. It was a pretty pointy ball peen that hit me in the head. Almost knocked me out. Very large egg on my forehead.

A few months ago I was putting a new sill plate in the house , whacking it in place. Got the hammer rebound between the eyes. Claw of the hammer that time. Got a 3/4" gash between my eyes. Little bit of a scar. YAY!
  17. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Might I suggest that nobody splits with a double bit axe. :ahhh:
  18. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I got a Fiskars a month ago and tried to split some large rounds of fresh doug fir. It bounced on me too, though thankfully I was not using full force, so no harm done. But it did make me think and ask here about how to use it. As sharp and as light as this tool is, I can see only using under certain conditions and with certain wood. It splits alder and hemlock almost like air. But not so with the fresh fir. If it is bouncing off the wood, I would hold off and pull out the maul. Although one can flake off the edges of this tough wood, there is also a chance of a miss. If you don't stop that arc, it will be embedded in the calf before one knows what has happened. Be careful and use it at the right time with the right wood.
  19. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    The last time I went to the ER for stitches (carpentry, not firewood) I told the doc that I didn't want to go because I figured it would stop bleeding on its own. He assured me that ALL wounds do stop bleeding eventually. :bug:
    I've had my Craftsman 6 pounder bounce just as much as my Fiskars has, though neither have hit me in the head.
    Don't take the shot to the head to lightly. Brains are somewhat fragile, and necessary too for most of us!
  20. leftyscott

leftyscott Member

Loc:
    arkansas
    If I got a gash on my forehead from a maul I would probably make up a story that sounded like this: "Yeah..... I was in a knife fight..... but you should see the other guy.... they found him floating in the lake...."
  21. yanksforever

yanksforever Member

Loc:
    The Beautiful Mid-Hudson Valley, New York
    Why suffer....sounds like it is time to come up to the 21st Century...buy a log splitter? :lol:
  22. cycloxer

cycloxer New Member

Loc:
    Worcester County, MA
    I've had some weird things happen while splitting wood, but I really don't know how you did that one.
  23. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I can actually picture it. Light axe, wet wood on a raised block, short handle, lean into the swing. Bam!
  24. CTburning

CTburning New Member

Loc:
    Western CT
    I've gotten pretty good with my Friskars but have been lucky enough not to experience "kick back". I used to swing it as hard as I could (same as I did with my axe), and zip wood apart. That was until I had a glancing blow that sent the head within milimeters of my leg/foot. I now use it as more of a precision tool and it works well. I have a maul, axe, sledge with wedges and the Friskars. I usually use one of the other tools to split a large round in half and then pick up the Friskars. Glad it is just a minor injury and not something more severe.
  25. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    I usually swing my Fiskars from over my right shoulder rather than over my head. It is sort of like a vertical baseball bat swing. If it were to bounce, I think it might go to the left of my head.
    I agree with the precision tool thing.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.