I admit it (finally), I have a problem...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Ruggeri

Nov 23, 2012
Rhode Island
All the time lurker, rare poster here. Came here to finally admit it, Yes, I have a serious problem, I'm an addict, bordering on hoarder! Every moment of my free time the last week has been spent moving, re-sorting my stacks, and C/S/S'ing stuff that was picked up last winter. Wanting to get everything ready, I really don't like working outside in the middle of winter, so figure i'll get everything done before Christmas!

Here's a few pics of my helpers today (my 2 boys, 4 and 6). The 2 year old taking a whack at the stuff the Log Splitter won't get.
IMG_20131120_110055.jpg

IMG_20131121_155413.jpg

Moving my 2 year dried (hate saying 'Seasoned') Maple/Ash/Elm closer to the house. 12' long rows, spaced. 4 rows deep. There's another 4 behind me. Having to randomly split and check Moisture, but almost all is below 20%. Yeah, i'm starting to hoard!
IMG_20131120_121152.jpg
We built a rack for the ready stuff next to the house (all oak flooring leftovers). 4 summers of dry time on that Oak, and it's still borderline (16 - 22% on tested splits)
IMG_20131121_153400.jpg

Moving my 2 year dried (hate saying 'Seasoned') Maple/Ash/Elm closer to the house.

--Yep, it took me a little while to figure out that "seasoned" is a heavily loaded and dangerous term in this forum! I'd previously assumed that seasoned meant SEASONED, as I'd define it: below 20% MC right down to the centers of the largest splits, and 100% ready to burn. Live and learn.

Looking good there, and this is at least a useful and mostly healthy addiction.

We wouldn't describe a person as "seasoned" in a particular profession, or whatever, after just a few months' experience. Same with wood.

Reactions: Matt Ruggeri
As a fellow Oregonian, I'll go against the grain and note that Douglas fir, for instance, in ideal conditions can indeed be brought dangerously close to a burnable state in three or four months -- as long as those months don't have an "r" in them, with the possible exception of September, and perhaps October in favorable years.

I have 5 month old Doug fir that is down to 20%, but we never waited that long those years ago.

But if your from Oregon you know we can have "r" in every month. RAIN...

We have a reputation to maintain. "Oregonians don't tan they rust"

The Oregon rain fest is July 1 - June 30th. Come celebrate with us.

When purchasing split cords, seasoned usually means, liberally sprinkled with bar oil and scented with 2 stroke fumes.;lol

As a fellow Oregonian, I'll go against the grain and note that Douglas fir, for instance, in ideal conditions can indeed be brought dangerously close to a burnable state in three or four months
Very True. We had a few Fir's and some Cedars come down last February, Cut/Split/tossed aside figuring they'd go in the firepit pile since it was empty, by September they were down to 18%. It broke my heart to burn nice dry splits in a hole in the ground! The leftovers are now going in the "indoor" pile!
Not seasoned, just old! Oregon Rain Fest? Sounds fun. :p

Hello Matt and welcome!

It looks like you have some good help!

I'm not sure if this is the right place to come for help with your problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.