I already have a fuel oil boiler....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drtnshtr

Jan 26, 2008
Ohio
Is it possible to go ahead and change over to wood without alot of hassle? I know very little about how these systems work but a guy told me since I already have the plumbing for the boiler it would be easy to change over to wood....

I connected the plumbing between my oil fired boiler and EKO 40 in a parallel circuit. The piping schematic I used was in the EKO 40 manual.

i am right smack dab in the middle of doing this....an indoor wood boiler...for me, it doesnt seem like the plumbing is going to be the big issue. what has been giving me trouble is my chimney....going through 20" of stone, and having it exit below grade....pouring a concrete box around everything. its definetly been more than i have thought. so, with that being said, there are a few different things to consider, not just turning a few wrenches and throwing in some wood. getting a boiler(short supply right now), getting it into your basement(heavy, kind of unforgiving), venting it(seperate chimney for oil and wood, by the way), then doing the plumbing. and when your all finished, from what i am told, grab a chair and a six pack, cause your gonna have to watch it some for a while. i am having to jump through some major hoops for this to all work out, but to see the oil guy pass by my house,(not stop) to me is worth it. everybodys install is going to be a bit different.

Yeh the Chimney thing is a toughy for me too. Not so sure I want to spent the $$$ on a pellet boiler because of the supply issue with the pellets either. How much is a wood boiler?

Status
Not open for further replies.