"I am a bucket truck"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reckless

Feeling the Heat
Jan 24, 2013
Orange county, NY
Well had some work done at the house over the weekend by a seasoned tree guy (25 years felling). When he showed up I told him the previous two quotes I got from other tree companies said they would need bucket trucks due to the lean of the tree and proximity to the house. Once he heard this he looked at me straight faced and said "I am a bucket truck", hearing that I knew I was in for a fun filled day :) In the end I learned a lot and it only cost me $750 for 3 trees. Pics from the day below

Attachments

• DSC02350.JPG
    DSC02350.JPG
    449 KB · Views: 272
  • DSC02353.JPG
    DSC02353.JPG
    372.8 KB · Views: 272
  • DSC02355.JPG
    DSC02355.JPG
    500.1 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_1521.JPG
    IMG_1521.JPG
    437.7 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_1522.JPG
    IMG_1522.JPG
    402.4 KB · Views: 264
  • DSC02359.JPG
    DSC02359.JPG
    485.6 KB · Views: 260
  • DSC02358.JPG
    DSC02358.JPG
    331.6 KB · Views: 315
  • DSC02362.JPG
    DSC02362.JPG
    427.6 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_1525.JPG
    IMG_1525.JPG
    399.3 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_1526.JPG
    IMG_1526.JPG
    534.3 KB · Views: 242
Laid it down nicely. Nice job.

I had a large spruce taken down a couple years ago and the guy I hired said something along the same lines about not needing a bucket truck. I have a lot of respect for anyone who can pull off a job like that. I get dizzy just looking at the top of the tree trying to see how tall it is. No way I could climb it, much less use a chainsaw up there if I did.

Looks like you made the right call on taking them down before nature decided to based on the way that trunk and stump look.

That is a great price for that job....and an experienced tree guy can do just as good as a bucket truck any day of the week.
we've done some technical trees the past several years, dare I say each one gets a little easier (I said a LITTLE), also helps when you enjoy doing the work.....

Nicely done, and a nice stash of wood. Did he include clean-up at that price or was that just to drop them?

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
You know Scotty, I just had a great idea..................put a couple log poles up at your boyscout camp and you can challenge all takers who can climb to the top first.
All donations go to more improvements at the camp.

Reactions: ScotO
You know Scotty, I just had a great idea..................put a couple log poles up at your boyscout camp and you can challenge all takers who can climb to the top first.
All donations go to more improvements at the camp.
that's an idea, but I'm guessing half the parents would want my hyde if I did that!
Half of them think I'm nuts for climbing those trees! ;)

Save your money and buy a Granberg Alaskan Mill. I bought one of those cheesy "slide" mills off of ebay for a couple dollars years ago, and its a major undertaking just to cut one board. Cumbersome, hard on your body, and just plain suck IMO....
This one Scotty? http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_7745_7745?cm_mmc=Google-pla-_-Logging-_-Saw Milling-_-11871&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=11871&gclid=CJD4t8H2ibkCFcme4Aod9k8A5g
Nicely done, and a nice stash of wood. Did he include clean-up at that price or was that just to drop them?
That was to drop them only.. good price no?

Also I almost forgot about these lil buggers. Found them in the third tree which was a Poplar that appeared fine but was rotten top to bottom. I relocated them to a box in a nearby tree but I think the mother might abandon them even tho she keeps coming back to where the original tree was.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    99.9 KB · Views: 147
This one Scotty? http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_7745_7745?cm_mmc=Google-pla-_-Logging-_-Saw Milling-_-11871&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=11871&gclid=CJD4t8H2ibkCFcme4Aod9k8A5g

That was to drop them only.. good price no?

Also I almost forgot about these lil buggers. Found them in the third tree which was a Poplar that appeared fine but was rotten top to bottom. I relocated them to a box in a nearby tree but I think the mother might abandon them even tho she keeps coming back to where the original tree was.
Yes, that's the mill I was talking about. For a hobbyist, that or the Mini-mill that they make would be ideal....
several guys on here have them (Thistle, thewoodlands, etc.), and they work very well.....

And yes, that's a good price for dropping those trees. You did good!
I hear squirrels make good pets but can be pretty mischievous!

3 trees. Pics from the day below
So were they all Black Oak? Bark and leaves are telling me that one is (1525.) 1526 looks to have smoother bark, and some of the leaves I see in other pics almost look like Shingle, but not quite right, and I don't think you even have Shingle up there.

Wife has a terrible phobia of rodents
Don't tell her they are rodents. ==c
Sad, though. :(

So were they all Black Oak? Bark and leaves are telling me that one is (1525.) 1526 looks to have smoother bark, and some of the leaves I see in other pics almost look like Shingle, but not quite right, and I don't think you even have Shingle up there.

I thought pin but I was told red and I found some pics to confirm, red oak leaves can almost look like pin. But I am NO expert and may still be wrong :)

Smart to have them dropped by the pros. Now you
get the fun of bucking them into fire wood. :)

Call the zoo, they may take the squirrels
for eagle food :eek:

Reactions: Reckless
I have used the Alaskan Mill with a friend of mine. It is a pretty good system as long as you have enough saw for it. My friend runs a Husqvarna 3120 with it.
DSC06175.JPG

Reactions: Reckless
I have used the Alaskan Mill with a friend of mine. It is a pretty good system as long as you have enough saw for it. My friend runs a Husqvarna 3120 with it.
View attachment 108987
I have a poulan pro 50cc..... so maybe I can do small logs?? Your friends $1900 saw is a nice one btw ;)

I thought pin but I was told red and I found some pics to confirm, red oak leaves can almost look like pin. But I am NO expert and may still be wrong :)

Definitely not a pin oak. Those tend to have smoother bark and about quadruple the number of limbs! The leaf is much different too. Here is a pin oak leaf.
pin oak leaf.jpg

Reactions: NortheastAl

Attachments

• IMG_1529.JPG
    IMG_1529.JPG
    160.6 KB · Views: 129

Black Oak leaves are the ones that are very similar to Pin. Reds don't have the deep sinuses. The Reds here look more like the pic below. The wood looks the same, though. The Pin sinuses (especially the bottom ones) are cut more level, Blacks point up more like below, and in your pic 6. The Reds here tend to have the flat, shiny plates on the bark further down the trunk than the Blacks. Pretty sure you have a mix of Oaks there....
Whatever it is, don't try to burn it any time soon. ==c

Red:
red.jpg

images

Reactions: NortheastAl
Like this? Isnt Pin part of the red oak family anyway?

Most definitely the pin is in the red oak family.

One of the very odd things about pin oaks though is that even though they are a red oak, deer do search out their acorns in the fall. Otherwise they always go to the white oaks. This does not mean deer won't eat a red oak acorn but too much tannin makes them taste very bitter. I think after the fall rains and then into the winter the tannin is reduces and they deer are more hungry then.

Reactions: ScotO
Most definitely the pin is in the red oak family.

One of the very odd things about pin oaks though is that even though they are a red oak, deer do search out their acorns in the fall. Otherwise they always go to the white oaks. This does not mean deer won't eat a red oak acorn but too much tannin makes them taste very bitter. I think after the fall rains and then into the winter the tannin is reduces and they deer are more hungry then.
Well the deer are tearing into all the down branches... I thought they were eating the leaves but maybe some early acorns???

Status
Not open for further replies.