I am about to buy Vermont Castigs Defiant 1945 - do these pictures look o.k?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big VA

May 4, 2011
Poconos, PA
Did anyone use this stove?

The owner said "the stove is about ten years old.....it is a Defiant. It needs new gaskets around the glass and the catalytic bricks, I believe, need to be changed out.I used it this past heating season and even with needing this work, it still worked well....heating up my ground floor to a nice cozy 78 degrees."

One of the fire bricks was cracked.

Looks a little rusty inside and outside, but I think it is o.k.

I could not figure out how to get the CAT out, so I do not know how it looks like.

That fiberglass thing (sorry for the vocabulary. I would appreciate the correct name. Those firestarters...) looks damaged. Are they expensive? Does it have to be in perfect shape?

A handle on the right side does not go all the way back - only 110 degrees (see photo.) Is that how it supposed to be?

The stove has legs attached. Should I take them of before I transport it?

Does anyone have a manual?

Thank you,
Big VA

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 473
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 489
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 464
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 464
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 468
You'll want to take a very close look at the insides, inspecting for cracks and warpage, especially around the cat holder. Also inspect the bypass mechanism for good action and locking in place. Then examine the exterior for any cracks and operation of the thermostatic damper.

Wow, looks like that stove has seen some serious use. Below is a link to the manual:

http://legacy.vermontcastings.com/content/support/manuals.cfm?browse=product&productid=136

Getting the catalyst out is pretty straightforward. You'll need to remove the fire bricks, then the stops on both sides of the lower fireback. Be careful because the fireback is heavy and will want to tip over when you remove the stops. Once you lay the lower fireback out of the way, there is an access cover made of the refractory material. You'll need to slide this out very carefully because it is very soft and easily broken. You can then slide the catalyst out of the stove. While you have it all apart make sure you clean out the accumulated fly ash and check the secondary air probe. If the probe has never been replaced, you will probably need a new one. It is a 'wear-out' item. Also, inspect the lower fireback on the inside because it has a gasket and you may need to replace that as well.

This was a May posting. I suspect the deal is done by now.

The deal may be done, but I still cannot believe they made a Defiant model with top loading.....I cannot even begin to imagine top loading my parent's defiant when I was young.

Remkel said:
The deal may be done, but I still cannot believe they made a Defiant model with top loading.....I cannot even begin to imagine top loading my parent's defiant when I was young.

Not sure why you can imagine it as your old Vigilant worked the same way as the Old Defiant.

Yeah.

I bought it...

Now I have to figure out how I can get it in good shape.

Can anyone give advice on replacing the gasket?

How do I know if I have to change the CAT?

Is there something else I shoud check on?

Thank you everyone!

Still have my Defiant Cat and Non-Cat for sale, $700 and $1000.00 pick up in CT.

Status
Not open for further replies.