I am doing the math and this makes sense.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How can anyone confuse the two, I see that all the time here 4x4x8 is simple math

Many people use "cord" to mean face cord. A face cord is allot smaller (roughly three times) than a pulp cord. It's not that somebody is confused about the meaning, it's just a communications thing. Make sure you understand exactly how much Wood they're talking about.

Does seem like a cheap way to get wood split but I would suggest you ask them if they are insured before hiring them to work on your property.

Reactions: Ashful
Buying a splitter is the way to go for most.....
I thought about buying a splitter, however I would then want a garden tractor/atv to haul it, and need a much larger shed to store everything. A decent splitter is 1000-2000, I got into burning wood to save money...

Reactions: Applesister
Also in it for the savings, and as is stands right now, X27 + Sledge and Wedge is getting it all done - even ~20"+ sweetgum rounds.
+1
ED, the way I would look at it, here I can buy a cord CSS for $125 off season. No way I would pay someone $50-$75 just to split for that cord.
for $1000 you could get a good used splitter to share with 2 neighbors and each pay $333.33 and call it a day.

Reactions: Missouri Frontier
+1
ED, the way I would look at it, here I can buy a cord CSS for $125 off season. No way I would pay someone $50-$75 just to split for that cord.
for $1000 you could get a good used splitter to share with 2 neighbors and each pay $333.33 and call it a day.

Then again, I'm young and have a little bit of time. It's also not like I live somewhere in a house which would require 5-10 cords per winter. Thankfully!

Heres some more math. With a splitter bought new 14 yrs ago, I split a full cord of Pignut hickory. And used 3/4 of a two gallon container of gas. 3.82 + 3.82= 7.64
So roughly about 6.00 in gas to split a cord of hickory.
If I was to depreciate the splitter 14 yr old at 100.00 a year. It was paid for 2 years ago. But splitting 5 cords a year thats 5 x 6 = $30.00 gas and 100.00
$130.00 for 5 cords split.
But now its just the cost of gas. Splitter is fully depreciated. Wood is a free byproduct of property maintenance.

I wish I called them ... But I cut down a couple of ash trees and I am splitting them by hand
image.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought about buying a splitter, however I would then want a garden tractor/atv to haul it, and need a much larger shed to store everything. A decent splitter is 1000-2000, I got into burning wood to save money...

Well processing your own wood is saving MONEY do it with Maul or Hyd Splitter But if you want to save money do it yourself.

...and Ash is usually pretty easy to split by hand anyway. One of the species that one can probably split as fast by hand as with machinery.

I bought my 27 tn Troy Bilt from Lowes 2 yrs ago, around $1400 and got 18 mos free financing. Plus if the wife says its OK to buy more tools I'm all over it! I get out the door before she can change her mind. I'm the only one that uses it so it should last me a lifetime hopefully

Well here is the thing, that ad was for two guys and a splitter for $50 an hour. I could process alot of wood with three guys. I think for the next coouple of weeks I am going cut and buck anf have them work with me on a Friday. I want to split 4 to 6 cords in one day.

I know in the long run I know buying a splitter saves you money, however I just bought the 555 chainsaw, and I have a landscaping crew coming in to chip all the branches from the trees, grind stumps, and haul off rotten wood. The yard needs alot of attention, so a splitter can wait.

I hear ya, I got the saw(s) one year then the splitter the next. Over a few years my "fleet" has grown nicely

Buy a splitter and take care of it. It will last for years. Split when u want and when u have time.

If you are young, in good health and cheap, buy the Fiskars x27 and split by hand. I split all this by hand and probably have more than twice that now. I save all the uglies, stack them separate and when the pile gets big enough I'll rent a splitter for the weekend.

image.jpg I have the fiskars..And i am 44 The point I was trying to make was that I could same tons of time... I am not a big fan of my yard looking like a wood processing plant. If I could split 4 -6 cords in one day. And have it cost me $100, that's a good deal. I only have one day a week to work around the yard.and I have a huge pile of uglies that needs to go..

I only burn 3 cords a year I already have 2 stacked ( I filled that rack above)4 to 6 more and ill be ahead ... I have spent the last 5 days off cutting and bucking and stacking the ash that I split for next year.

I'm not attacking anyone for buying a splitter I just don't have 1500 to blow on a splitter. There are several other projects I would like to complete. And for the record I am 44 with an 11 month old baby so you can't put a price on the value of my time.

And splitter rentals in my town are $75 a day and $25 to have it delivered I don't have a vehicle with a trailer hitch ..

Last edited:

The 2' splitter I have was built by my uncle nearly 40 years ago... the cords it has split is beyond counting. I will fire up that old Kohler K181 before I swing my maul any day.... with barely basic maintenance... a wood splitter will last multiple decades...

Well here is the thing, that ad was for two guys and a splitter for $50 an hour. I could process alot of wood with three guys. I think for the next coouple of weeks I am going cut and buck anf have them work with me on a Friday. I want to split 4 to 6 cords in one day.

I know in the long run I know buying a splitter saves you money, however I just bought the 555 chainsaw, and I have a landscaping crew coming in to chip all the branches from the trees, grind stumps, and haul off rotten wood. The yard needs alot of attention, so a splitter can wait.
I did that one year, I had 4 cords to cut and split and my hip was mince meat at the time . I paid the guy $100 and we got all of it split by 1 pm. I was using my electric splitter and helping him out and we banged it out in no time. It was money well spent, I wanted the wood split and drying and with my hip in the condition it was it would have taken me all summer.

Are you guys really talking about splitting 4-6 full cords (not face cords) in 2 hours??? I can't see how you can do it. If the logs are easy to work with (not too big) it takes me a couple hours to split 1 cord with my hydraulic splitter. I've cut, split, and stacked 14 cords in the last year. I move at a solid pace and I have no idea how you could come close to splitting 4-6 cords in 2 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.