I am nuts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
Did some contracting work at a customers house and noticed some birch logs sitting in the garage. Found out they want to turn their WB fireplace to gas. I asked if they had firewood they wanted to get rid of. She said they have those logs in the garage. I could take them if I wanted them. I took them. Its only about 10, but they are the driest logs I have ever seen. Almost feel fake.
I think they were ornamental logs placed on the hearth. Must have been there for ever. They look like white birch, with the bark intact.
Seems a shame to just throw them in the fireplace. What should I do with them?

BURN those sons of birches............ :lol:

What my father used to do with white birch logs was drill three candle size holes in them, attach some half round to the bottom to make a base, then staple pine or holly branches to them and, with the addition of candles, it was our Christmas table display. He actually used to sell these at craft shows for a pretty decent buck. No one on this forum is probably surprised to know that most people can't drill three holes straight, much less obtain, cut and nail half round to the bottom of a log, much less think up the idea in the first place, so people were quite happy to part with their money for these. You could probably earn enough from the birch to buy a cord of wood.

Oh, just to make it extra safe, he would add an electrical cord with one of those big Christmas tree light bulb/socket on the end. Not for use when unattended.

Had a similar deal. At a garage sale the guy had maybe a third of a face cord lined up in his garage and he wanted them gone. Said it was a couple years old. The stuff is so dry you can't get a match near it or it goes poof. Great for starting a new fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.