I am on needles and pins

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lowroadacres

Minister of Fire
Aug 18, 2009
MB
So here I sit at my desk while nursing my knee injury... And so I do like many of us, I waste a couple of minutes checking out our local classified ads...

And up comes this advertisement....

http://ebrandon.ca/ItemView.aspx?item_id=309728

I emailed the individual immediately and I have not yet heard back.

I am on needles and pins waiting to find out exactly what sort of relic this must be to be going for $50 and having never been installed.

You never know.

I saw an old Hearthstone for $150 on craigslist yesterday. Kinda rusty, but soapstone doesn't rust, and is pretty pricy. It was sold within hours of the post.

I should have known better.... It was/is a simple zero clearance fireplace of some sort... The kind that is worse than what I currently have in home that I am trying to install a real insert in to actually produce heat.

Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Can you take out the zero clearance and install a freestanding model or would that be cost prohibitive. The typical zero would come out with a little work and you could install some masonry on the walls and go for an alcove style install. Depending on what stove you get it would produce great heat...

Right now we have a fireplace that is masonry with a corrugated metal liner. Not sure what the official name is but it has a damper in the throat that is activated by a lever. It also has the fan system with the tubes across the throat of the fireplace to supposedly capture some of the heat and to force it out into the room.

Our eventual plan is to install an insert into the existing masonry structure so as to not lose any floor space.

As chronicled in some of my other posts from the last couple of years we are limited by finances and by esthetics.

When we do install an insert it will need lots of viewing glass to counter losing the current large fireview.

At the same time we are not wanting to lose the arched look of the fireplace as it sits.

A young fella back in 1968, left home for Vietnam. About a week prior to leaving, (this happened in our home state, for real) he had just purchased a Chevy Corvette, and drove it home from the dealership. With 5 miles on the odometer, he blocked it up, took the wheels off it; removed all the hoses and laid them aside, draining the engine and radiator, and covered the vehicle with a tarp, in the garage at his mother's home.

Unfortunately, the young man was KIA, and his mother, not having the heart to get rid of any of his stuff, left all his "stuff" (including the Corvette) where he had left it.

A story ran in the local newspaper of a fella in 2002, who saw a very small ad in the paper stating: "Chevy Corvette, $200.00" including a phone number. He went there, and the mother of this soldier took him to the garage, and there........in pristine condition, was her son's Vet, with all the parts.

Sometimes, you get deals like you'd never imagine! Sometimes there are folks who don't know what they have!!

-Soupy1957

soupy1957 said:
A young fella back in 1968, left home for Vietnam. About a week prior to leaving, (this happened in our home state, for real) he had just purchased a Chevy Corvette, and drove it home from the dealership. With 5 miles on the odometer, he blocked it up, took the wheels off it; removed all the hoses and laid them aside, draining the engine and radiator, and covered the vehicle with a tarp, in the garage at his mother's home.

Unfortunately, the young man was KIA, and his mother, not having the heart to get rid of any of his stuff, left all his "stuff" (including the Corvette) where he had left it.

A story ran in the local newspaper of a fella in 2002, who saw a very small ad in the paper stating: "Chevy Corvette, $200.00" including a phone number. He went there, and the mother of this soldier took him to the garage, and there........in pristine condition, was her son's Vet, with all the parts.

Sometimes, you get deals like you'd never imagine! Sometimes there are folks who don't know what they have!!

-Soupy1957
2002? I heard that exact same story in 1992.
Joe

I missed a classified ad once that read. "FREE BOAT". I called on it thinking it was a dingy and asked "does it float?" the reply about shocked me, it went like this:

"Ya it floats, it better for what "HE" paid for it, that low down, good for nothing &^%%#$%%^^^%$$%^&. That stupid &(^&^&&* put it in my name then went and slept with *&^&^&^. So come and get it out of my yard before the guy that called before you. I have the pink slip in my hands and can't wait to see his face when his baby is gone and he finds out for HOW MUCH!!!!!!"

Well I didn't make it in time so somebody did get a free boat (or sold for a $1) that was, I'm guessing in great shape.

Women scorn..............................

Status
Not open for further replies.