I am so behind on getting wood!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lasher

Oct 26, 2007
NW Connecticut
WARNING....JUST VENTING...

This is driving me crazy! I had big plans for getting all my wood cut/split/stached by this time of the year. But it just did not happen...

I still have over 1/2 the large oak tree I got from my brother-in-law this spring to split and stack. About a 1/3 is spit and sitting in a pile. But I am planning on this being for the following winter.

I just dropped a standing dead tree the other weekend. Sitting there waiting to be split and stacked.

I have cut one smaller tree that I dropped during the winter into pieces, it needs to be moved to the splitting location in yard along with split and stacked.

I have to get into my woods and cut up a large maple tree that fell last year, hauled out (by wheel barrow), split and stacked.

I have a couple more trees I want to drop, close to the splitting area, that I have to drop, cut, split and stack.

And I am going away on vacation next week. So I am looking at mid July, which I hope will be enough time to season some of the wood.

Good news...sort of...I am talking with a guy that has 90 acre farm in town that might let me take some wood. He has a splitter on site and only wants 1/2 the split wood that I get. Of course where do I have the time to go there and do that!

Also, I am getting the scrouging itch. We had a storm come through the other day that knocked down a bunch of trees around town. I drove around looking at some of them, tempted to ask the people if they wanted me to take it away, but chickened out of asking. Sure enough, most of the trees were gone within a day. I just got to get up the nerve to ask the people that I see with trees down.

As for my plans...I hope that after vacation I can get out in the yard and cut up all the trees that I want. Then the following weekend have a "wood splitting party" at my place. Have friends/relatives come over for the day, split and stack the wood I have cut up and then (with junk wood) have a fire that night with some refreshments. I am hoping that will allow me to get the wood all split and stacked...

Maybe....

We are brothers, bro, I'm in CT also, looking at many piles of log sections and 2 large trunks yet to be cut up, all waiting to be split and stacked.

Where o where does the time go?

Reminds me of my relatives in Upper Michigan, life there revolves around surviving winter, then spending the summer preparing to survive another winter, etc, etc.

The good thing here in CT is that for the past few years, it's been warm well into October.

Lasher said:
Then the following weekend have a "wood splitting party" at my place. Have friends/relatives come over for the day, split and stack the wood I have cut up and then (with junk wood) have a fire that night with some refreshments.

You have better friends and family than I do, if you can get them to do that. Most of my friends and family think I'm nuts for having "that" much firewood. And always say things like "all that work". Most people I know simply avoid physical labor at all costs.

Edit: but I'm in no hurry, I am working on year 3 year out stuff now with year 4 and maybe 5 left.

Lasher said:
WARNING....JUST VENTING...

This is driving me crazy! I had big plans for getting all my wood cut/split/stached by this time of the year. But it just did not happen...

I still have over 1/2 the large oak tree I got from my brother-in-law this spring to split and stack. About a 1/3 is spit and sitting in a pile. But I am planning on this being for the following winter.

I just dropped a standing dead tree the other weekend. Sitting there waiting to be split and stacked.

I have cut one smaller tree that I dropped during the winter into pieces, it needs to be moved to the splitting location in yard along with split and stacked.

I have to get into my woods and cut up a large maple tree that fell last year, hauled out (by wheel barrow), split and stacked.

I have a couple more trees I want to drop, close to the splitting area, that I have to drop, cut, split and stack.

And I am going away on vacation next week. So I am looking at mid July, which I hope will be enough time to season some of the wood.

Good news...sort of...I am talking with a guy that has 90 acre farm in town that might let me take some wood. He has a splitter on site and only wants 1/2 the split wood that I get. Of course where do I have the time to go there and do that!

Also, I am getting the scrouging itch. We had a storm come through the other day that knocked down a bunch of trees around town. I drove around looking at some of them, tempted to ask the people if they wanted me to take it away, but chickened out of asking. Sure enough, most of the trees were gone within a day. I just got to get up the nerve to ask the people that I see with trees down.

As for my plans...I hope that after vacation I can get out in the yard and cut up all the trees that I want. Then the following weekend have a "wood splitting party" at my place. Have friends/relatives come over for the day, split and stack the wood I have cut up and then (with junk wood) have a fire that night with some refreshments. I am hoping that will allow me to get the wood all split and stacked...

Maybe....

just stop and ask...the most they are going to say is "no". they are more than likely going to say "sure, as long its not costing me anything, or phew thank god someone wants this , now i dont have to do it". as a society, we have become very lazy. i remember working fire wood with my dad when i was big enough to climb into the back of the truck to stack. when i was older it was out in the woods with dad and work at it all day. when i moved out it was screw that , i'll turn up the thermostat , now its back to the old way...my dad laughs at me.

mike

Jags said:
Most of my friends and family think I'm nuts for having "that" much firewood. And always say things like "all that work". Most people I know simply avoid physical labor at all costs.

I was just thinking the same thing as I was driving home with a load of locust that I loaded into the back of the pickup. Some of the bucked sections were a couple hundred pounds. The neighbors think I'm weird for doing all that work. It seems a lot of Americans are getting very soft - the "Wussification of America"

Rockey said:
Jags said:
Lasher said:
Most of my friends and family think I'm nuts for having "that" much firewood. And always say things like "all that work". Most people I know simply avoid physical labor at all costs.

I was just thinking the same thing as I was driving home with a load of locust that I loaded into the back of the pickup. Some of the bucked sections were a couple hundred pounds. The neighbors think I'm weird for doing all that work. It seems a lot of Americans are getting very soft - the "Wussification of America"

Rockey, I think you got your quote tags a little goofy on that post.

We are all pushed for free time. You have to pick and choose what has to, needs to be done and work on that only, then move on to another project. Even at that we don't always accomplish some of the things we need to. No big deal as you will always have the comercial products to heat with if need be. :)

The more you beat yourself up about this the longer it will take you. I certainly wouldn't count on someone else doing the work I need to.

Jags - I was using a Poulan to cut and paste with! :red:

Lasher just start slow...try and dedicate 45min a day to your wood. At the end of 10 days you'll be so surprised at how much ya got done you'll most likely bump up you wood time to an hour.

I'm in the garage, now, getting my chainsaw ready and sharpening my implements. I've got a load of oak and locust that needs to be cut down to stove size, split, and stacked.

Last night I put up a huge load, my hand of 6-7 foot long oak and locust.

My wife looked at me when she got home from the Va Hospital (she's an ICU nurse) and said "...did you go to the gym?"

I just smile and said yes.

I've got a lot of work to do. It's good exercise, and I've got two stoves to feed this year.

Talk about a road of tough breaks..thought I was good with my saw which is a fifteen year old husky that has treated me well...and has been re-built two times quit on me exactly two days after I dropped 1 G on a splitter?!?! So now, here I am with this dilemma of trying to decided on to spend who knows how much on getting my old saw fixed or just going out and smoking the credit card on a new saw...Why couldn't this stuff happen a week before I got the splitter???

More good news...my father in law decided to have a huge oak tree dropped within the week. I would guess just over 3 feet across at the base and about 50 feet tall. And I get all the wood. Not to mention I am going to meet with the 90 acres guy on Friday.

I know I will get the wood split and stacked...I just such high hopes to be the busy "little ant" that was very prepared.

One thing I did find over the weekend...I brought a husky chain sharpening tool. Took about an hour (and video from the husky site) to figure out how to use it. But once I did, I sharpened my chain and cut some wood up. Man, that thing worked great.

Lasher said:
More good news...my father in law decided to have a huge oak tree dropped within the week. I would guess just over 3 feet across at the base and about 50 feet tall. And I get all the wood. Not to mention I am going to meet with the 90 acres guy on Friday.

I know I will get the wood split and stacked...I just such high hopes to be the busy "little ant" that was very prepared.

One thing I did find over the weekend...I brought a husky chain sharpening tool. Took about an hour (and video from the husky site) to figure out how to use it. But once I did, I sharpened my chain and cut some wood up. Man, that thing worked great.

50/50 on that wood is not that good of a deal. If you are providing all of the labor, 75/25 might be more acceptable. It doesn't sound like you have a shortage of other wood sources at the present time. If its going to be a long term deal that will provide a steady stream for several years, then 50/50 might be more doable.

That is what I am thinking about, long term. If he wants me to do the work right now, I might just pass.

I am also working on a co-worker. His uncle has a bunch of land in my town and might want some trees removed. That would probably be a better deal, since I think I could take all the wood.

Ask people to help, tell them you will beer & feed them.
Offer a barter deal, do they need help with doing something at their house?
I agree an hour a day after work speeds the process up too.

thats the truth. If I could put in an hour each day after work I would be way ahead, unfortunatly with two young kids that just doesnt happen!

I only have one little one.....but I can still relate. I really only need one more cord, but would like to obtain two just to be safe (not to mention getting a jump on next season).

I've been working on splitting a few cords of wood that I've had sitting in my driveway for a while now.

I borrowed my neighbors splitter, but it's been slow going since I only get a couple hours each evening after work to work on it. Once I get it stacked and out of my driveway, I'll have to start looking for some more sources of wood.

I'm waiting to hear back from a dealer that called yesterday. Depending on his price, I might order a few cords already split, dumped in my driveway. That way, I'll know I'm good for this winter and I can keep scrounging to prepare for the next year out.

-SF

I've got two. One will Be 3 in a few days and a 16 month old... I am grooming little log splitters!!! The older helps stack (or unstack) already!!!

haha, thats funny! My boy just turned 4 this Month and my daughter is 14 months!

I hear you guys and gals, I've got a 7 and 3 year old. Time is a precious commodity. I've found that I'm behind on processing my scrounged wood. I've also found that instead of plopping down in front of the tube after the kids are in bed, I'll go out and split for an hour or so. It is amazing how a little bit every day will add up. Now I just need a full day on the weekend to buck up all the long logs I have laying around to stove length so I can continue my night splitting!

Ah, "un-stacking".

It reminds me of my first days living with and feeding a stove. I was living in Vermont. My girlfriend of 6 years moved up from GA with me and we decided, mutually, to end the relationship. I had a golden retriever pup named Hayduke.

It was an emotionally difficult time. I came home from a business trip and found her gone. 6 cords of split wood had been delivered, a mountain of wood in the drive that needed to be stacked in the garage/shed. Some of the wood needed to be cut or split again. It was good work for getting through a difficult time.

I still remember tossing wood into the garage/shed...and Hayduke trotting in, picking up exactly the right piece of wood, trotting back to me and dropping it at my feet. That would go on for 10 or 15 minutes, then he would tire of it and go lay down for a nap in the grass.

Good dog. Gone now. She's still in Vermont.

20+ years later, I now have 2 wood stove to feed in a much calmer climate.

Same boat here - 8, 5 and 1 are my girls and ya still have to compete with the wife's priorities.

I got a bunch done in late March and throughout April - just the hour here and two hours there after work. Then some of the girls spring sports and misc stuff began to compete and feel like have not done a thing in a month or so.

Keep on chuggin boys...

yup, hope to get a few more 2 year old half down trees bucked up this weekend

Its funny someone mentioning getting the kids to help. This last weekend I cut down a small cherry tree and was hauling the rounds up to be split in my 17 month old son's wagon with him in it. When we'd unload, I'd say to him "gotta go get more wood". He looked at me and said "mo woo Dada"......kept saying it over and over. I couldn't of been more proud! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.