I am sooo bummed!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skinnykid

May 6, 2008
Next to a lake in NH
Sitting here, 20 degrees out and we are sposed to get maybe 2 inches of snow over night. I am not running my wood stove because I need a chimney sweep BAD and the guy cannot get out till wendsday. Maybe I should learn how to do it myself.

We got the propane heat on but it ain't the same.

Come on guys, help me get past this difficult time!!

Remember the "Six P's"
Proper
Preperation
Prevents
Piss
Poor
Performance

Sorry, I couldn't resist :)

Depending on what your chmeny set up is and your level of general knowledge, chimney cleaning is not that hard. We did my Dads monthly for years and the switched to like twice a heating season, I really hate to pay someone to do something that I can do my self,,,,,,just my .02

easiest thing i ever learned on this site was to sweep my own chimney

and the best tip i learned here about sweeping was to buy 1 inch PVC pipe with a fitting instead of the $30.0o tiny fiberglass rods

i'm glad i did it in Aug as it's a nice 79 degrees in here :)

So what's the problem that you can't run your stove until chimney sweep comes? There's is nothing binary in my chimney experience. When it is time to clean the chimney I simply put it on my "to-do" list, and keep on burning until I get a time "to-do".

Crabby, You are correct. But since I am forced to burn the wood that I have (little under seasoned) that is what I get.

I already have some of 2009 wood cut to length and in my yard waiting to be split. Hopefully I won't have this problem again.

I also have a small stove which is impossible to get an "all night" burn from. So I run it real slow at night to get what I can outta it.

That is probably some of my troubles.

Tell Sponge Bob, Patrick, Squidward, Sandy and Mr. Crabs I said hi!

Jerry_NJ said:
So what's the problem that you can't run your stove until chimney sweep comes? There's is nothing binary in my chimney experience. When it is time to clean the chimney I simply put it on my "to-do" list, and keep on burning until I get a time "to-do".

What is happening is, because of the restricted air flow up the chimney, smoke is leaking past some of the joints in the stove pipe inside. They are screwed together also.

This never happened until the other day, took a look up the chimney and yup, lotsa gunk. Plus, when I open the door to the stove, smoke really comes out hardcore.

Sorry to read you had such a problem, thankfully the same has never happened to me, yet.

Good luck.

i agree but then again he said he burned pine so maybe thats his problem :lol:

Just Kidding to all you pine burners :lol:

Stevebass4 said:
i agree but then again he said he burned pine so maybe thats his problem :lol:

Just Kidding to all you pine burners :lol:

I have burnt so little pine, I don't think that has much to do with it. I never burned pine at a slow burn. I just burnt it wide open when we are up and watching it.

I asked you guys to help me past this hard time, not give me the dickens! :p

seriously, buy a brush for your flue size : ie 8x8 or 8x12 etc. and some pipe as stevebass suggests and clean that thing out good. some guys forgo the rods and just tie a rope to the brush and pull it up and down the chimney. if you have allready got that much creosote, you need to get some dry wood and mix it with the not so dry wood you have. burn that baby like you stole it and you won't have so much builup. BTW Squidward would like your home number.....he likes skinny kids

Skinnykid: imho two things you have to remedy.

Get at least a 2 year supply of firewood.

When, and if you gather the loot together? You need a stove with a bigger firebox.

Big box stores can sell you the rods and brush for $50 or less. to clean your own chimney.

I realize that you (back east guys) love your hardwood. but in your case this spring I would be putting together at least 4 cords of softwood because it will be ready to burn come winter. And don`t feel bad about it, out here all we have to burn is softwood, and it serves us well.

Stay on the forum and keep reading and learning, and things will "get better".. :cheese:

just busting your chops

us east coast people should never burn pine at least that's what all the old timers said (again just kidding as i have some cut and split for next year)

clean it yourself - you'll save $$$$$ and you wont have to wait for anyone but yourself.

total cost at home depot is $20.00 - ten for the brush, two for the pvc, a couple for the coupling and a couple for the adaptor

i always say buy tools not labor

Crabbypatty said:
BTW Squidward would like your home number.....he likes skinny kids

I already gave it to him! Darn Squids are so absent minded!

skinnykid said:
...I asked you guys to help me past this hard time, not give me the dickens! :p

What is it, exactly, skinny, that you're looking for us to be able to do for you? Rick

fossil said:
skinnykid said:

What is it, exactly, skinny, that you're looking for us to be able to do for you? Rick

Quit bustin' his chops....get a plane ticket and go out to the shire and clean it for him...geeze Rick.

i guess swing by and sweep his chimeny or maybe pay his oil bill :p

woodconvert said:
fossil said:
skinnykid said:

Quit bustin' his chops....get a plane ticket and go out to the shire and clean it for him...geeze Rick.

Yer closer. Rick

Stevebass4 said:
i guess swing by and sweep his chimeny or maybe pay his oil bill :p

Although those would work, I guess I was just looking for some kind and reassuring words.

Something like

"I heard about your chimney, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family"

or

"This is so untimely, if you need anything just call"

or

"As I warm my heart and house with my wood stove, I will be thinking of you, and all the other skinny people in NH"
:) :p :lol:

fossil said:
woodconvert said:
fossil said:
skinnykid said:

Yer closer. Rick

Depends on...well, no it doesn't....but....skinny, unless you man up pronto yer screwed.

woodconvert said:
fossil said:
woodconvert said:
fossil said:
skinnykid said:

Yer closer. Rick

Depends on...well, no it doesn't....but....skinny, unless you man up pronto yer screwed.

hahaha

I heard about your chimney, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. ;-P

Skinny, as you well know, this is pretty much the woodstove information and sarcasm forum. If it's just plain sympathy you're seeking, then I think perhaps you'd have better luck over on Weepformeformychimneyneedsasweep.com

fossil said:
Skinny, as you well know, this is pretty much the woodstove information and sarcasm forum.

Yeah, and i'm not sure if you are aware but it's about to get real cold and windy there...well, at least it's cold and windy here and it usually goes from West to East...and yer East. So, if it helps, that giant sucking sound you hear as all that propane RUSHES towards your furnace like a tsunami of money towards a bailout...well....it's o.k.. It's only money.

Skinnykid, I am deeply concerned to hear about your "problem". Maybe we should organize an intervention so we can give skinnykid a chance to get the help he obviously requires. Skinnykid how long have you been smoking the pine? i know it's not your fault, and it is highly addictive. maybe we can switch you over to a propane treatment untill you can learn the adverse effects your habit has on yourself and others, not to mention your chimney. i know your "chimney sweep" (aka dealer) loves the buisness and he has led you down this dark, smokey path, however there is a light at the end of the tunnel. now is the time to lean on your fellow members here at hearth.com for suppport and guidance. get up early tommorow and drive to the local HD and get a brush, climb on the snowy roof and brush that chimney like it is your job! AND STOP SMOKING PINE!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.