I am welcoming recommendations now on the second installation.... Or how to convince my wife to give

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lowroadacres

Minister of Fire
Aug 18, 2009
MB
So here we are 9 days in to our return to wood heating as a lifestyle. Interestingly enough, over the past few days my wife has begun running the open throat upstairs fireplace steadily in our living room. It would seem to be the prime time to begin the sales job of convincing her that we need to install an insert so her pretty fireplace isn't just pretty, but will actually warm our upstairs effectively.

We almost pulled the trigger last summer on an insert (a Napoleon 1101) but once she saw how small the firedoor window was the deal was nixed.

In hindsight I do not blame her as it is a pretty small view of the fire when she is used to a very large opening without glass in between her and the fire.

We have a couple of ideas of what we might like but getting perspective from brochures or online is difficult.

Fire away hearth.com forum users to give me your recommendations as we begin the process of adding a second installation.

Take a look @ the Osburn 2400 or the Pacific Energy. Both have large viewing glass. Both are good looking inserts and both will do a great job of heating.

declaration.JPG

Recommendations will need fireplace firebox dimensions and construction type. Masonry or prefab?

I think there is some truth to the idea that you can actually lose heat to an open fireplace, even (or especially?) one that is burning. Someone else here who knows more about the air patterns can probably fill in how that works.

I love to look at the fire too, but I have had this house almost five years and have probably had one fire per winter, tops, in the fireplace, which even had glass doors. Since we have gotten the insert in (January) we have had fires most every day, and they are enthralling to watch through the glass, even if it's a smaller view than a fireplace would be it is a better view too. The room is warm, the secondaries are fascinating to watch, the "mess" is easier to clean up since everything burns so thoroughly, and it uses the wood much more efficiently. I can even cook on it!

Based on my experience, I am betting your wife would get a lot more enjoyment out of an insert/stove. But to each his (or her) own!

Also, if she is concerned about losing the look of the "authentic" open fireplace, maybe she would consider an insert without the surround https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/50201/P0/
Answer.jpg

Or a beautiful hearth install freestanding stove like this one
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/47453/
index.php

These are great suggestions so far.

The fireplace in question is a solidly built masonry structure with a corrugated metal insert with fans supposedly designed to move the heat out into the room via tubes in the top of the fireplace.

The dimensions of the arched fireplace are 21 inches deep, 32 inches wide and 26 and a half inches to the top of the archway.

That's about the size of my fireplace opening, and I have a Lopi Answer woodstove in it (not in insert). It looks great, the wife likes the heat, it's a lot less messy. I didn't like the look of an insert surround, so the woodstove in the opening works for us.

lowroadacres said:
These are great suggestions so far.

The fireplace in question is a solidly built masonry structure with a corrugated metal insert with fans supposedly designed to move the heat out into the room via tubes in the top of the fireplace.

The dimensions of the arched fireplace are 21 inches deep, 32 inches wide and 26 and a half inches to the top of the archway.

Not sure what style is preferred and what the budget is, but there are several inserts that will fit in there. I'd go for at least a 2 cu ft insert. How large is the room where this fireplace is and how large an area would you like it to heat?

Where the heck is MB?

That's similar dimensions to my fireplace and about the only things that wouldn't fit were the Jotul 550 and PE Summit inserts. I'm putting a Regency I3100 in there in the weeks to come. I liked the look of both the Jotul anf the Hearthstone inserts, but not the price, especially in Canada. The Hampton was also nice, but also quite pricey for the extra looks.

I believe in all provinces you must install a full, top to bottom stainless liner for inserts, make sure you factor that into your budget. In most of my research, it seemed like a somewhat decent rule of thumb that an insert will end up being almost 2 times the price of a stand alone stove where there is an existing masonry chimney mainly sue to 1) inserts just seem to be more expense, 2) liner is mandatory for an insert, 3) labour is more for an insert if having it installed.

You have got lots of choices with that opening. Suggest you find the largest firebox you can, assuming you're going to try and heat a good portion if not all of the house.

We installed the vermont castinf montpieler insert. It has a huge veiw of the fire. The blower in not noisy at all. Some members had some trouble with the fan noise but I believe it has been resolved. One word of caution this insert relly likes well seasoned wood. Some where there is pics of mine on this site.

Hmmm . . . no brainer to me.

Stick with the fireplace if you want to have an occasional fire to set the "mood" . . . realizing that fireplaces while highly desired by many are in fact not really that effective at heating a home.

However, if it were me . . . I would go with either a large insert (advantage: to me it kind of keeps a smilar look to the fireplace and can be flush or semi-flush mounted like a fireplace) or free standing woodstove . . . these choices offer better, efficient heating, many models have large windows (and some even have screens you can pop in place of the front door -- i.e. some Jotul stoves) and you get a very similar experience in terms of the dancing flames (only it's better when the secondaries kick in), sound (muted a bit perhaps with the doors shut) and smell . . . well OK, no smell except for the potpourri simmering on the stove top.

I gave up trying. My wife loves the open fireplace, even though it smokes at times, is unbelievably inefficient, is a pain to burn, does not draw all that well, and when burning it keeps the propane furnace from running, so the rest of the house is freezing. So we put in the wood burning furnace, and that has been great, and she gets to keep her open fireplace, and we get wood heat warmth!

Me and my fiance are planning on installing a Quadrafire 4100i when we get our tax returns back. It has a bay window design and a very nice looking surround compared to most of the other brands that i've seen.

MB is the abbreviation for MB which is straight North of North Dakota :)

These are all great suggestions so far. The room is a large living room with huge floor to ceiling South windows. We have a ceiling fan in the room with a large passageway into the kitchen dining area. The hallway to the main floor bedrooms is off the corner of the living room.

We recently installed a small woodstove in the basement and we are utilizing the furnace fan on circulate to move warm air throughout the house.

Our goal in looking at an insert in the fireplace is to heat the main floor which is approximately 1400 square feet.

Yes, we would certainly be inserting an insulated liner in the flue with a proper block off plate.

The labour factor would be minimal as we are planning on doing the work ourselves with the supervision of our WETT certified installer.

The xtraordinaire looks appealing due to its relatively simple approach with a look that is very much like the BIS zero clearance fireplaces.

I am also liking the Vermont Castings inserts.

Given that we now have a "utility" looking stove in the basement we are hoping to balance function with fashion on the main floor.

Has anyone had experience with the Xtraordinaire? I have emailed them and left messages with them to find a dealer and to determine prices but have gotten no reply.

I would be curious as to pricing on these items.

Status
Not open for further replies.