1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

I bit the Bullet.

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by muleman51, Feb 12, 2012.

1. muleman51

muleman51 Member

Loc:
    SE Minnesota
    I will now be on my third boiler. Had an Aqua Therm for 15 years great boiler until it died, thought I'd be smart and get a better boiler so I bought my Adobe (seton type). Not so good an idea, put up with it now for 4 or 5 years. Just bought an Emypre Elite mostly because there is a dealer within 40 miles. I am in the process of making the switch (planning) . I have a 40 plate exchanger to plumb in. I have my old boiler plumbed just like the diagram at the top of the forum.I plan on putting the exchanger right in the system where the old boiler was. I plan on putting in strainers on the return lines coming from the storage and the new boiler. Do I need to have all of this below the water level of the new boiler as it is non pressure? Are strainers good enough or should I put in filter especially on the storage/house side as there is 1000g plus on that side. I plan on batch burning like i have the last couple of years. Is there a way to shut down the pumps and boiler after the burn other than just a timer as I don't think the water will ever cool down much with that much storage. The forum has been a wealth of information in the past. This will be my last boiler one way or the other, it will either work or my wife will do me in. Thanks for the help.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Singed Eyebrows

Singed Eyebrows New Member

Loc:
    Midwest
    Good luck with the Elite! You can use a flue gas thermostat to shut down on burnout if you can find one in the states. Check with New Horizons or the various Hearth advertisers, Randy
  3. woodsmaster

woodsmaster Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N.W. Ohio
    Congrats. The pro fab has many happy consumers on here. Many agree with you on the Seaton. Hope every thing goes good
    for you. If I had to replace my boiler in 5 years I'd probably cry and my wife would probably leave me. I considered
    the pro fab when shoping, but couldn't find any actual users at the time so I didn't want to get one without hearing any reviews.
  4. muleman51

muleman51 Member

Loc:
    SE Minnesota
    I wish I had found the Hearth before the last boiler. I now have more invested than if I had bought a Garn like I wanted to only was too cheap. Guess you live and learn, only a little too late. Hopefully we will get the boiler replumbed this week .
  5. B-Mod

B-Mod Member

Loc:
    Central WI
    How do you have your boiler piped? I see no diagram at the top of the forum?
  6. muleman51

muleman51 Member

Loc:
    SE Minnesota
    I used the"simplest pressurized storage design" it's at the top of the boiler room homepage just above the most recent posts.
  7. NNYorker

NNYorker Member

Loc:
    Upstate N.Y.
    muleman51, good luck with the Empyre...