I bit the Bullet.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muleman51

Feb 18, 2008
SE Minnesota
I will now be on my third boiler. Had an Aqua Therm for 15 years great boiler until it died, thought I'd be smart and get a better boiler so I bought my Adobe (seton type). Not so good an idea, put up with it now for 4 or 5 years. Just bought an Emypre Elite mostly because there is a dealer within 40 miles. I am in the process of making the switch (planning) . I have a 40 plate exchanger to plumb in. I have my old boiler plumbed just like the diagram at the top of the forum.I plan on putting the exchanger right in the system where the old boiler was. I plan on putting in strainers on the return lines coming from the storage and the new boiler. Do I need to have all of this below the water level of the new boiler as it is non pressure? Are strainers good enough or should I put in filter especially on the storage/house side as there is 1000g plus on that side. I plan on batch burning like i have the last couple of years. Is there a way to shut down the pumps and boiler after the burn other than just a timer as I don't think the water will ever cool down much with that much storage. The forum has been a wealth of information in the past. This will be my last boiler one way or the other, it will either work or my wife will do me in. Thanks for the help.

muleman51 said:
I will now be on my third boiler. Had an Aqua Therm for 15 years great boiler until it died, thought I'd be smart and get a better boiler so I bought my Adobe (seton type). Not so good an idea, put up with it now for 4 or 5 years. Just bought an Emypre Elite mostly because there is a dealer within 40 miles. I am in the process of making the switch (planning) . I have a 40 plate exchanger to plumb in. I have my old boiler plumbed just like the diagram at the top of the forum.I plan on putting the exchanger right in the system where the old boiler was. I plan on putting in strainers on the return lines coming from the storage and the new boiler. Do I need to have all of this below the water level of the new boiler as it is non pressure? Are strainers good enough or should I put in filter especially on the storage/house side as there is 1000g plus on that side. I plan on batch burning like i have the last couple of years. Is there a way to shut down the pumps and boiler after the burn other than just a timer as I don't think the water will ever cool down much with that much storage. The forum has been a wealth of information in the past. This will be my last boiler one way or the other, it will either work or my wife will do me in. Thanks for the help.
Good luck with the Elite! You can use a flue gas thermostat to shut down on burnout if you can find one in the states. Check with New Horizons or the various Hearth advertisers, Randy

Congrats. The pro fab has many happy consumers on here. Many agree with you on the Seaton. Hope every thing goes good
for you. If I had to replace my boiler in 5 years I'd probably cry and my wife would probably leave me. I considered
the pro fab when shoping, but couldn't find any actual users at the time so I didn't want to get one without hearing any reviews.

I wish I had found the Hearth before the last boiler. I now have more invested than if I had bought a Garn like I wanted to only was too cheap. Guess you live and learn, only a little too late. Hopefully we will get the boiler replumbed this week .

I used the"simplest pressurized storage design" it's at the top of the boiler room homepage just above the most recent posts.

muleman51, good luck with the Empyre...

Status
Not open for further replies.