I bought a little saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Riddle

Hearth Supporter
Oct 17, 2010
Eastern KY
So I am at my doctor's office yesterday ... while waiting for him to get in the exam room, I get on the iPhone and am reading about Stihl chainsaws.

He comes in and sees the phone out and says something like "listening to some music?"

I put the phone away and said .. no actually I was researching to buy a used chainsaw since I burn wood now.

"I have a saw that I may want to sell" said Dr. Wood (no kidding) .. "It is a small Stihl that I never use anymore"

This afternoon I go pick up his 021 with a 14" bar, a spare chain, the wrench, a file and the original owners manual. .. $135

Saw has some grime on it from being used, but no cracks in the case .. started and ran great.

I can't wait to try it out this weekend!

Tell him you'll take in lieu of his bill.... ;-P

Then when your saw fails to start someday, just drop 2 asprins in the gas tank and try again in the morning.

southbound said:
Not bad...

How about some pic's???

Wanted to wipe it off a little bit first but I will post up some.

Do many of you run a 12" bar on these little saws or do most stick with a 14" bar ?

That saw will pull a 14" just fine. I'd find some non safety chisel chain (assume it has safety chain) for it and it will cut well. I had a 210 for a bit with a 16" and it did okay.

MRiddle said:
southbound said:
Not bad...

How about some pic's???

Wanted to wipe it off a little bit first but I will post up some.

Do many of you run a 12" bar on these little saws or do most stick with a 14" bar ?
I run a 14 on my modded 170 and it does great.

i have an 021 with a 16" bar. great little saw, reliable and good power for its weight. The saw just runs and runs and runs. good luck.

Well I have not spent much time cutting with the 021 but what I have done was a pleasure.

Then I found an 036 so I snagged it too .. very powerful saw.

Also bought an old wood getter S10 4x4 truck.

This should be a very busy summer.

Sounds like you will be a busy man. Good for you.

Do a muffler mod on it and it should scream with a 14 inch bar on it.

021 and an 036? That should get you by just fine now. That's a pretty good combo.

Have an ebay ms 360 with a 20" bar also. great saw too. Also got a new ms 260 a few weeks ago. i know the 021, 260 and 360 are all close but i wanted a good medium small saw and wanted the 260 before it got canceled. Good luck with the saws and truck!!

Thanks everybody ..

I felt like those two would make a good pair.

Kenster said:
Do a muffler mod on it and it should scream with a 14 inch bar on it.

I have seen muffler mod mentioned before. Gotta look that up !

021 with 16in bar. Sound saw for majority of our useage. Had it since 1995. Pull the spark screen it helps to wake it up. Like any saw it is only as good as the care it recieves. Keep the chain sharp with two passes of the file per tooth between each tank of fuel and dont get in a big hurry. Ours has required no repairs but it is not a powerhouse. Enjoy!
I really like little saws. Good compliment to our MS 360 pro and Husky 350. Think we would like a MS200RH but for its price.
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.