I Bought Him the Ryobi!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My SIL is putting it together and I'll be giving it to him tomorrow evening at my daughter and SIL's house. I hope he likes it! I plan on showing him the videos that were linked here so he can see how it works before we try it out. I'm so excited!

I just got one yesterday. It is much easier with 2 people. I had my 6yr and 9 yrd old working the controls while I put the wood on. Most of my wood is sweet gum so you have to work the logs. Without help I can only splitt 1 out of 4 logs. With help I can splitt 80% of the wood.

We buy our wood already split from a local guy here. I want it for splitting the splits even more into kindling/smaller splits. Hubby sliced off the right side/tip of his digit finger on his right hand using a mandolin to slice onions about 3 weeks ago. I don't want him using a hatchet any more for kindling so I thought this would be a perfect gift and will even pay for itself ($50.00 per ER co-pay), not to mention loss of any more body parts. LOL! I tease him but love him bunches! Thus, I would never buy him a chainsaw. :coolgrin:

One other thing you might want to remember is if you use a 4x4 ahead of the ram when splitting short logs dont operate the splitter from behind[ in-line with the ram], I was doing this and the 4x4 shot out backwards, hit me in the nose and mouth. Still have all my teeth but one busted lip and a nice gash on the nose.

I too have had a log or two shoot out of my Ryobi at an alarming rate of speed. Also had a few logs split so suddenly it threw the splits and small shards really fast. At 4 tons it has the power to split most everything (for me) but I think a log only under 4 tons of compression can occaisionally jump out. Usually it was a crotch or really tough log and shot out at an angle. I know a more powerful gas splitter has dangers too - so operating this smaller one doesn't change your perspective to know how it works, know it's nuances, know it's limits and just remain alert. 4 tons of pressure is still a lot of working pressure for a hand tool.

I originally was going to rewire the switch so I could operate it with just one control, but having both hands down and out of the way probably saved them from being hit by flying wood.

I always wear gloves and eyewear. Always.

The 1st time I used the splitter I was some what disappointed. Today was the 2nd time using it, this time with help. I am now happy with it. With me holding the wood and the boys running the controls I was able to splitt easier then with the maul on The Sweetgum. Now with Polur I use the maul, I did a truck load in no time.
But thats a fun wood to splitt." Hey kids watch daddy splitt this this log"

wahoowad said:
I always wear gloves and eyewear. Always.

Capped boots are a big plus too. There are a lot of bumps and brusies in the whole wood stacking thing. There a lot of hand/foot pinching/crushing injuries too be had.

Status
Not open for further replies.