I bought my first ton today!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sculptor

Sep 22, 2009
central nc
My local TRACTOR SUPPLY STORE has Rocky Mountain for $289 a ton. I also bought some corn to try out in my 49-TRCPM. I have a local source, but wanted to try out a bag before I buy in bulk. I have to admit that Mike from Englander makes me feel good about buying an ESW! I have had much more support from him (and macman) AND THIS SITE!... than I ever would have received from my local dealer. I know I've already discussed this in earlier threads, but I just don't have the selection you guys up north are fortunate to have. My local dealer would wait days before answering a question of mine.

I probably won the "pain in the ass" award from macman and Mike, and members of this website, but hey...I appreciate the hell out of you guys. Thanks!

sculptor said:
....I probably won the "pain in the ass" award from macman and Mike, and members of this website, but hey...I appreciate the hell out of you guys. Thanks!

Not at all. Glad to help a fellow Multi-fuel pellet/corn/cherry pit burner. And I agree 100% about Mike H. What a great resource to have available!

Enjoy the stove, and the heat!

PS I am VERY jealous of your having Rocky Mtn pellets there ;-) (especially since my TSC only has Maine Woods and Premier :sick: )

Hey, Your on your way to being a pellet pig. Just 3 more tons to go. If you want to check out the pellet manufactors sites, Maybe you can find other dealers near you. Most pellet manufactors list there dealers by area. Worth a shot. Maybe find some a little cheaper too!

I am a multifueler too! Got any corn or grains grown locally??

jay

macman- you are only 562 miles away from me. It's time for a pellet pig road trip. I'll cook a fat steak and some blue crabs. Oh, and some beer! ;-)

Jay- I had to go on iburncorn.com and ask some questions about corn - and Mike filled me in also. Literally, everybody down here calls it "deer corn" which the manufacturer says stay away from. I only knew canned corn or corn on the cob! :red:

sculptor said:
macman- you are only 562 miles away from me. It's time for a pellet pig road trip. I'll cook a fat steak and some blue crabs. Oh, and some beer! ;-)

Jay- I had to go on iburncorn.com and ask some questions about corn - and Mike filled me in also. Literally, everybody down here calls it "deer corn" which the manufacturer says stay away from. I only knew canned corn or corn on the cob! :red:

Have macman stop on the way by, I will throw a couple of bags of local grown corn in for ya! :lol:

From what I hear macman has a few brands to choose from. But he doesn't have any Okies. You will have to get those from me!

jtakeman said:
Have macman stop on the way by, I will throw a couple of bags of local grown corn in for ya! :lol: From what I hear macman has a few brands to choose from. But he doesn't have any Okies. You will have to get those from me!

That's true...no Okies...YET!

I'd love to make the trip down, but I'll have to pass for now......a lot going on here right now....I'll take a rain check.

Thanks for the offer Sculptor. :)

Oh, and Jay, I was at Lowes yesterday, and they had a couple brands I never saw there before...Marth and AWF. I picked up a bag of each, and also a bag of the Clean Energy to test burn.

Funny, I wonder who really makes the Clean Energy...the bag said made by Lowes Manufacturing, (or something like that), but it definitely had the word Lowes in it. maybe I'll start a new thread, and ask if anyone knows anything....maybe BTU has some info.

macman said:
jtakeman said:
Have macman stop on the way by, I will throw a couple of bags of local grown corn in for ya! :lol: From what I hear macman has a few brands to choose from. But he doesn't have any Okies. You will have to get those from me!

I'd love to make the trip down, but I'll have to pass for now......a lot going on here right now....I'll take a rain check.

Oh, and Jay, I was at Lowes yesterday, and they had a couple brands I never saw there before...Marth and AWF. I picked up a bag of each, and also a bag of the Clean Energy to test burn.

Funny, I wonder who really makes the Clean Energy...the bag said made by Lowes Manufacturing, (or something like that), but it definitely had the word Lowes in it. maybe I'll start a new thread, and ask if anyone knows anything....maybe BTU has some info.

Hey Mac,

Are those Marth hard or softwood. I think you'd like the softwoods...they are OK. The hardwoods are good but have a lot of ash and some clinkers (at least in my stove).

It will be neat to see what you think about this locally produced (for me) pellet.

macman said:
jtakeman said:

If Lowes contracted the mill to manufacture them. I guess they could say Lowes manufacturing. But I really doubt Lowes owns there own manufacturing of anything! Just a sub contract thing. I too wonder who really makes those pellets. Keep me posted on results. I gotta run to danbury Lowes here soon. There supposed to have several brands there. Greenway too!

jtakeman said:
.... I gotta run to danbury Lowes here soon. There supposed to have several brands there. Greenway too!

Better do it when the wif is away for the day... :lol:

macman said:
jtakeman said:
.... I gotta run to danbury Lowes here soon. There supposed to have several brands there. Greenway too!

Better do it when the wif is away for the day... :lol:

With me busy sampling, I don't have time to bug her, So she seems good with it lately. Heck, She bought the last entry to the list. The Michigans and didn't ask for reimbursement either???? Or is she trying to be a pellet pig too?? She is stopping later this week to get some ligs too????

I'm not sure whats up but I am running with it!

PS, sculptor sorry macman and I kind of hijacked this thread. Once you get us talking pellets there is no stopping us! We have to see if we can get you some other pellets to try down there. Hmmmm.

No need for apologies. I'm scouting for other brands to try. I called my local Home Depot and asked what brand they have? The department person says "That's a seasonal item and we haven't received our shipment yet, so I can't tell what we will get" I jokingly laughed and said "Seasonal? what are you waiting for...Dec 21st? Just glad to have my RMs.

macman said:
jtakeman said:

AWF Pellets...

http://awfpellets.com/

Marth...

http://www.marthwood.com/fuel_pellets.html

"East-coasters" just throw me off when they talk about pellets being a steal at $289 /ton. I just bought my first pallet/ton for $218 plus tax. :) That was mid-range. I can get some pine wood pellets for $189 a ton (and will be doing so soon, I think). But then everything on this side of the country is cheaper... except gasoline. Of course that was all "haul it yourself" prices. Thank goodness I have friends with trailers. ;-)

Haubera, I think some of us would be interested in what pellets you buy, for how much, and how you like them after you've tried them for a while. You are probably buying brands we don't get here in the northeast but it's always nice to have a few points for comparison when we go out to buy.

And good luck with your new stove and first ton :) .

I'm running "North Idaho Energy Logs" pellets right now. The company is about 150 miles away from me (east of course) and they also make pressed logs for fireplaces. So far they are burning well (almost too well as I've shut the stove down as far as it can go and it's still getting too hot in here, but that's actually good for now because it's not very cold yet, just 39 °F ).

Only issue I've seen was not so much a problem with the pellets, but the store that sold them gave me a pallet that had 2 torn bags at the bottom edge, they'd also gotten wet, so some pellets fell apart. I salvaged as much as I could from those bags, and am burning part of one of them right now.

The $189 stuff I thought was made by Armstrong, but I just pulled up the ad for the store and that name belongs with pellets that cost $197 per pallet. All of them claim to be premium pellets. Both of those cheaper ones are either just pine, or SPF.

I bought the more expensive ones thinking my stove warranty required "premium", but as all of them claim to be premium, I think the next pallet will be one of the cheap ones. Will keep you posted on how those burn. Will go pick a pallet (or maybe just a couple of bags for now) up next month.

Well, I've run through 15 bags of the NIEL pellets so far. Using up about a bag a day in the sub freezing temps we've been having for the last couple of weeks. I should be turning the stove down today as it's noon and 26 degrees outside and inside the house it's nearly 73. I've got it set on 4 for heat. Last night I let it get too hot before I turned it down, and was opening the door to cool off before I got it back down again. Yesterday I went and picked up a pallet of Armstrong pellets, just so I'd have them on hand before the snow came (it was supposed to snow this weekend, but didn't yet). I'm now officially a pellet pig. LOL Figure that should get me through February, then we'll see what else I need.

Haubera said:
I'm running "North Idaho Energy Logs" pellets right now. The company is about 150 miles away from me (east of course) and they also make pressed logs for fireplaces. So far they are burning well (almost too well as I've shut the stove down as far as it can go and it's still getting too hot in here, but that's actually good for now because it's not very cold yet, just 39 °F ).

Only issue I've seen was not so much a problem with the pellets, but the store that sold them gave me a pallet that had 2 torn bags at the bottom edge, they'd also gotten wet, so some pellets fell apart. I salvaged as much as I could from those bags, and am burning part of one of them right now.

The $189 stuff I thought was made by Armstrong, but I just pulled up the ad for the store and that name belongs with pellets that cost $197 per pallet. All of them claim to be premium pellets. Both of those cheaper ones are either just pine, or SPF.

I bought the more expensive ones thinking my stove warranty required "premium", but as all of them claim to be premium, I think the next pallet will be one of the cheap ones. Will keep you posted on how those burn. Will go pick a pallet (or maybe just a couple of bags for now) up next month.
Ok, now that I've burned through the bags that had been wet and mushed partly I can give a fair appraisal of the NIEL pellets. They kept me toasty warm on the nights when we had temps at or near 0 F during the night. Burned slightly less than a bag and a half those days and kept the stove running around 4 at night, and 1 during the day while I was at work. I also bought a pallet of "Armstrong" pellets last week that I will try once the NIEL is gone. I figure I still have nearly a month worth of the first pallet to get through before I get to the Armstongs.

Status
Not open for further replies.