I broke my stove handle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pulldownclaw

Feeling the Heat
Mar 2, 2007
Richmond, Va
I adjusted my door after breaking the stove in as per the manual, and the door has been really difficult to open. So, after having to muscle it for the last week or two I snapped it off tonight. The handle is wooden that has a bolt that runs through it and threads into the metal part of the door latch. Am I going to have to tap that out or something? Never done that before, any tips?

Attachments

• Hampton Door Handle 1.jpg
    Hampton Door Handle 1.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 394
  • Hampton Door Handle 2.jpg
    Hampton Door Handle 2.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 364
Are you going to be able to remove the bolt from the handle?To remove the broken bolt out of the metal get yourself a set of Easy out screw removers.You tap them into the broken bolt and use a wrench to twist it back out..Great tool to have around.

Thanks, bebopin, I'll head to the hardware store and check that out. I think if I can find out what size the bolt is I can possibly just replace that. At least it's not supposed to be that cold today, but tomorrow old man winter comes calling again. The sound of that furnace kicking on is driving me crazy already!

At first you can try putting the piece with the broken off bolt in it, into a vise. Then use a small punch toward the outside of the broken bolt and tap it slightly with a hammer in the counter clockwise direction, unless it is really frozen in there it will walk out for you. If it is really frozen, you will have to drill it out and use the eazy out. (not as easy as it sounds)

If there is a local auto shop you know of with good mechanics and you aren't comfortable with this, just bring the handle to them and have them do this for you.

Then take the handle to a hardware store and have them give you a bolt that fits. There are many different hardnesses for bolts, get one that has a higher rockwell (hardness scale) so it won't snap off again.

Finally, when you've got that solved, figure out what is causing the handle to be so difficult, it really should not be.

Wow, I had the same worry on mine, I would call the dealer or hamton direct, they can probably ups it to your door in a few days. Good luck!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.