I built a small Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pfmg

Nov 21, 2005
Billerica MA
I'm worthless, i buy most of my wood split, and semi seasoned, :coolsmile: then split all the bigger pieces ( i get a good price because i think there are more bigger splits than usual) and then let it finish seasoning. I was doing it by hand, which is fun for the first couple of hours, but i built a small splitter to help out a bit.

12 ton air hydraulic jack, all 1/2" and 1/4" steel. It works perfect, slower then most splitters, but it is not about the speed.

Attachments

• splitter.jpg
    splitter.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 682
  • splitterwedge.jpg
    splitterwedge.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 642
  • splitterbase.jpg
    splitterbase.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 670
I like it,

I guess how fast it works depends on the size of compressor you have?

Nice to have the compressor in the garage and a long air line to the wood site. No noise!!!

Carpniels

carpniels said:
I like it,

I guess how fast it works depends on the size of compressor you have?

Nice to have the compressor in the garage and a long air line to the wood site. No noise!!!

Carpniels

Thanks - The compressor size doesn't matter much. The jack only requires 2 CFM. I tried it on my small portable compressor and it worked the same as the big commercial one in my garage, which probably puts out over 20 CFM

Neat. You could probably run it on one of the little CH 12-volt compressors from Wallyworld, and use it just about anywhere. Maybe a little handcart to haul it around with? Nice work!

HI,

How much do you estimate it cost you to make it? material? hours?

What is the cycle time?

Any ideas about selling them?

Carpniels

Status
Not open for further replies.