I can not do space heaters again this year please H E L P

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeDe

Nov 4, 2014
GA
Hi all!! Thank you in advance!!
I am so clueless when it comes to all of this. So I will try to explain quick and include pics.
The house was built in 1939. I was told that it was probably used for coal and we couldn't burn wood without piping up the chimney. Is this true?? There are gas logs in it but the house does not have gas any longer. It also looks like someone built out the back to make the gas logs look better. My question is can I put a wood burning insert in and if so, what would I need.
Please excuse my ignorance!
fp2_zps07b6ee34.jpg
fp3_zps918d8170.jpg
fp5_zps4ae66f69.jpg
fp6_zpsa5a04047.jpg

You get 5 gold stars for great pics. Yes you can put a wood burning stove in there. Yes, you do need to put a steel wood stove pipe into that masonry chimney. That chimney is way too large for a wood stove. Also you will need a hearth extention, not a big deal.

x2

You certainly can. You will need to put in a SS chimney liner though. Depending on how the hearth is currently constructed you may need to rebuild it to get an appropiate r value. Take some measurements and find out what size will fit and start doing research and then find models that will fit, check their specs for clearances and hearth etc.

Yes, you do need to put a steel wood stove pipe into that masonry chimney.

I am assuming you mean a stainless steel liner not a steel stove pipe but we need to watch the terminology because those are 2 drastically different products for 2 very different applications. Now Dede i am sure you can get an insert in there or a wood stove in front a wood stove may need some hearth work an insert looks like it might be a tight fit not sure. But either one will need a ss liner and that strip of wood in the smoke chamber as a form obviously has to go

Can you please give us the dimensions of the fireplace and the depth of the hearth? Also, what material is the mantel made of? How many sqft do you want to heat? What is your budget?

Be also aware that any wood stove or insert will need dry wood. Do you already have several cords at hand?

The reality is, in my opinion, is that a trip to local hearth stores (maybe with those pictures and measurements might be in order). You need to know, at least, what brands they carry.

Agreed. This looks like a small fireplace. That will reduce options. We will need the fireplace H & W front and back and the depth too.

Also, tell us more about the house and the area you want to heat with the stove. How large is the area where the fireplace is located? Is this an open floorplan or many rooms with doors?

Status
Not open for further replies.