I can see the promised land. how to get there?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

richg

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2005
Gang,

I hope you are doing well. While driving home, I passed a tract of land thatis being cleared for an office park. There is a neatly stacked pile of trees literally teh size of two houses. The species that are common to the area are red & white oak, ash, hickory and maple. There are still giant excavators on the site, and it seems as if tey are getting ready to bring in a tub grinder. How would you go about trying to snag some of those logs? Would it even be worth it?

Worth it? Certainly sounds it! I'd swing in and ask the guys if you can buck loads before they process. If they are junking the wood, perhaps you could ask if they'd set you a reasonable load aside - just make sure you can get it done fast - they probably won't want it sitting there for long (and worrying that you are not coming back!). Cheers!

Offer up some cash for loads delivered. Trucks that come in with loads have to go out too, and would rather line their pockets on the way home. How nice would a tandom load look already at your house?

I'd try asking the guys on site if you can cut some wood to heat your house. Maybe they will give you permission. If they do, I'd cut only what you can carry away - don't cut a big pile and plan to come back later. Cut pieces as large as you can move and load - you're trying to grab all you can before a chipper shows up.

Maybe the guys will refer you to a foreman, contractor, owner. If so, follow up and make sure to mention that you heat your house with wood and you collect it yourself. Self reliance and the implication that maybe times are tough (why else would somebody go through all that effort instead of burning oil?) definitely help with getting permission.

If I can get permission from anybody working there, that is enough for me. I don't necessarily go out of my way to track down the guy in charge. The higher up the ladder you go the more red tape you are likely to run into. If the nice logs are being sold, ask about other wood. There must have been tops to those trees.

Keep your cash smile and say HI, can I move some weight for YOU! Best thing you can do is try and get other people in your area who need wood. When you find the cherry jobs with lots of weight YOU CALL IN EVERYONE AND MOVE IT ALL!

Wait till after dark and be real quick and quiet! LOL No just go and ask whats the worst that can happen they say NO heck I have heard that all my life I am married lol

mywaynow said:
Offer up some cash for loads delivered. Trucks that come in with loads have to go out too, and would rather line their pockets on the way home. How nice would a tandom load look already at your house?

+1 If you have a place that dump trucks can dump and you're no farther than they'll be hauling anyway, you're set.

If you're looking to cut up a couple of their 100+ trees, talk to the last guy that leaves at night and promise that they won't notice a thing different in the morning.

There will be some dirt, but you might be able to cut plenty of clean wood without dulling your chain too much.

Naandme said:
Wait till after dark and be real quick and quiet! LOL No just go and ask whats the worst that can happen they say NO heck I have heard that all my life I am married lol

hmm you too? seems a conspiracy is present.

Status
Not open for further replies.