I can't believe how heavy this stuff is

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KYrob

Jan 8, 2010
KY
I sawed up about 2 truck loads of a bitternut hickory today. This is the tree that fell over in January of 2009 and has been laying up off the ground since then. I cut 3 cords out of it last year. What I find curious is the weight of this wood. The rounds were about 16" through and 14" long. Not large at all but I bet they weighed 50 or 60 lbs each. I figured after being down for as long as it has, it would have dried out a bit anyway. I only have the trunk left and it is 36" through and about 30' long. It's going to take awhile with a 16" bar but I'll get it eventually. To good a wood to let it go to waste. Does hickory usually weigh this much after being down this long?

No pics today as I left my camera at the house. Will get them next trip.

Rob

Until it is split and stacked, it's not giving up much moisture at all. Hickory, like oak, is almost beyond stubborn about giving up moisture.

KYrob, Hickory is some mighty fine burning wood. I burned some last night that has been split and stacked since last winter but was cut from a standing dead tree. Even the quarter round splits weighed a ton. I split a few of those splits even further last night with my Fiskars and it was still like hitting an anvil with a sledge hammer. But the moisture content was about 14%. It's just a real heavy wood even when its really well seasoned. And it's worth the wait.

Any pictures? I don't think I have ever seen ONE tree give close to 5 cords of wood. The thing must be ginormous!

No pics of it all right now. I have it all split and stacked from last years cutting and todays is piled there as well. Plan on cutting the rest before long hopefully. Will try and remember to take pics when I get back to the farm. It was a big tree. Hated to see it come down.

Rob

I'm with you Rob. I hate to see those old hickory come down. And yes, that wood is heavy.

Along with hickory some folks simply can't seem to appreciate trees. We have a fellow who purchased about 10 acres of land not too far from us. Along the road were a lone hickory and another lone oak that was huge. He built back from the road quite a distance but his first order of business was to take down that huge oak. It was sad to see it go. Then to add insult, he took down the hickory. Trouble is, they don't even burn wood. He just didn't want the trees. Really sad.

There is another thread going on the weight of wood, hickory is in the top 3.

NATE379 said:
Any pictures? I don't think I have ever seen ONE tree give close to 5 cords of wood. The thing must be ginormous!
this here is a tree that has now given me close to 3 cords and thats not coundting what my buddy took plus other people. about 5 and 1/2 feet tall it stood when i stood next to the round

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 372
I've seen oaks that had more than 5 full cord in them. Those are usually trees in old New England towns that are older than the town itself.

Remember that some people say "cord" when they mean "face cord".

Great looking wood. If your 16 inch saw is holding back, seems like a buying opportunity for a bigger saw! Merry Christmas!

Status
Not open for further replies.