I can't believe I'm burning wood in the middle of May!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeathens

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2007
Athens, Ohio
My mother in-law is watching the kids while my wife and I find permanent day care. She complains about "the cold" all of the time, so I had to fire up the mansfiled last nigt, and will do it again tonight (lows in the lower 40's). It gets a little too toasty for me, but it is a good excuse to play with fire! I know I'll be eagerly awaiting the arrival of winter again in a couple months.

I hear you there. Last week we had a few fires. I jsut dont like have slow burners due to creosote

Still burning in the evenings here. If the rec-room ain`t going above 60 on it`s own then I am gonna make it so.

We had a fire going all last night...I let it go out about 100pm but just put a log on the remaining hot coals to fire it up for tonight. This weather is ridiculously cold for may. I did manage to paint the rest of my house so I'm grateful for that anyways.

Well I burnt the reast of my skids and small peacies are gone and the pile of wood is soaking wet. I have to learn to keep some wood covered.Thank goddness the temp is going up tommorrow . Any way it was still fun to fire it up.

Here in the rain forest, 4.35 inches yesterday and rained all day today, it is in the forties and the stove is still keeping on keeping on. This is usually the time of year I am whacking wood like crazy. Not wading in cold mud.

They actually forecast sun for tomorrow and partial sun Wed. Then the rain starts again. Anybody got a copy of plans for an ark built out of firewood splits?

was wearing gloves today at work, now that has never happend in may... so might as well have a fire tonight to warm up too....

i fired it up tonight. It was fun, but I had just cleaned it out and cleaned the glass for the summer- oh well.

so much for global warming! Ya I had a couple fires last week. I was gonna fire it up tonight but while I was at work my G/F put the heat on 70. I told her I was gonna light a fire so we don't use propane.

But I guess she wanted to keep the youngin warm all day.

Over the weekend we got snow, tonight it is going to get into the 30's.
Depending on the temp I have been just doing some overnight burns just to take the chill out and cut down on the propain.
Last night I was told not to burn, so around 1:00 I had to turn up the propain.

Where's N of 60? He's probably still ice fishing. :lol: . Yep, couple of quick fires a few days this week. I paid for it and I want my global warming.......NOW!

Yeah, I can't believe we actually fired up the stove down here last night in Central Virginia! It was nice to take the chill off and keep the oil furnace from kicking on tho.....thought I was done for the season.

It was cold enough here this am to throw a log or two in...I just told the XO I was going to let it go out for the day but I may restart it tonight. What the heck...if it's cold enough for the LP stove to kick in then it's time for some Quadafire music. And go figure... yesterday I rototilled the neighbors and my garden too. colldest May I can remember since '72.

savageactor7 said:
colldest May I can remember since '72.

Well, you know...pirate attacks have been up. Probably explains it.

Mike from Athens said:
savageactor7 said:
colldest May I can remember since '72.

Well, you know...pirate attacks have been up. Probably explains it.

HA! I just figured out your avatar (duh!). I, too, hold to those principles. Rick

I'm really feeling dumb fossil. Can't figure it out. I thought it was a couple of folks but their heads now look like eye balls. Throw me a bone...

Oh and the stove was running when I left for work this morning and will be hot again tonight.

Highbeam, I'm absolutely sure you're not dumb. I'm going to have to direct you back to Mike about this particular topic. It's a little obscure (and, in my mind, both hilarious and right on), but in some contexts could be construed as somewhat personal or sensitive. Maybe I'm making too much of it, but I'll defer to Mike for now, I don't think it's appropriate for me to explain someone else's avatar. (Still burning some here, too). Rick

Yeah, don't really want to start a new ash can subject...

but it is the flying spaghetti monster, a religious parody. If you're interested in a good laugh, search FSM on google or something. If you are a devout religious-type person, you probably won't find it too funny, though, so be forewarned 8-/

Definitely ash can material. I've heard that Pastafarians are anti-tofu.

BeGreen said:

FYI- Coffee burns real bad coming out the nostrils!!!

BG, funniest this I've real all week.

BeGreen said:

Hmmmmmm...I never heard that one. I'm a relatively recent convert. I mean, who would've ever thought that global warming is directly related to pirate attacks? And then, pirate attacks increase, and we have a cooler spring!!!! I mean, come on!! What more proof do you need?!

I think the anti-tofu romor was started just to try to debunk the whole religion.

Okay, I'll take a look just so I don't feel left out.

Today is the last day of miserable rain and cold before our weather makes a 180 into sunny and 75 for at least a short while. If you've never been in the PNW in the Spring when it is sunny and warm then you're really missing out. Maybe we're getting closer to being done burning.

Are any of those pirates from Pittsburgh?

The world could use more pirates from wherever they can find them. Just look at the facts, they stand up. However, the recent increase in piracy is hard to correlate to this winter's global cooling, there are too many confounding factors and we don't have the computing power yet to come up with the definite model. Could effect of software piracy be contributing to the cooling? Or is it closer to the recent activity off of Madagascar? This is a complex issue. I've read that there's one sect in South America that is betting on beer volcanoes being the salvation of the earth. We shall see.

The anti-tofu faction really has me roiled. They are way off base. My guess is that they've been sneaking in some rigatoni. I mean, cmon' - how can you close the day with RAmen and not like tofu? Get real dudes.

Attachments

• FSM_Pirates.png
    FSM_Pirates.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 161
We already know that the answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything is 42. We simply have to figure out just how to formulate the question. No doubt pirates are involved somehow. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.