I changed my fan direction and it made ALL the difference in the world!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just as a note for those like us with "unreachable" fans - almost all fans are equipped with the little switch on the fan to reverse directions (N1ST if it doesn't reverse I'd suspect you have a problem with the wiring in the switch or fan motor) - however some of us have fans that are next to impossible to reach - ours is hanging from the center of our ceiling 23' up, on a 4' downrod - when the original fan died, I needed to rent an 18' scaffolding tower in order to get up to where I could change it... For all intents and purposes, there is no way to reach the fan to clean it or flip a direction switch.

We did a lot of research, and there is ONE fan company that makes a few models where the reverse function is controlled by the wall switch - Casablanca. They are much more expensive than the fans in Lowes or Home Despot, but do have a "lifetime warrantee" with NO requirements for cleaning or lubrication, and as I mentioned, complete ability to be controlled from the wall switch. Given the headaches of trying to reach the unit to do anything to it, we felt the extra expense was worth it.

Gooserider

My fan is 20' high too. I am able to get to the switch with a broom handle from a nearby loft. The lightbulbs don't get changed very often though.

Status
Not open for further replies.