i commited a wood burners sin!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wood4heat

May 1, 2007
i got caught off guard with no one to blame but myself, i left just over a cord of wood out uncovered and exposed during an ice storm and then immediately following the ice storm we got about 6 inches of snow. Temps are above freezing now and all is thawed but my wood is completely soaked i moved it today into a covered area top rear and both sides covered. I guess my question is will the wood dry out enough to be used this season if so about how long should i wait? Wood was seasoned about 18 months before this ordeal. Thankyou in advance for any suggestions.

Don't feel bad. I am sure all of us do this at least once in our burning days. I would think depending on the wood, if you let the air and no more rain or snow get to the wood it should be ok to burn in a week? I know that I have ash stacked and can take it straight to my insert and it burns just fine even though its wet.

Shipper

Last week I chipped some logs out of the ice in the back of my truck and immediately burned them. I put them on top of some unseasoned wood a customer was attempting to burn and after a little coaxing they took right off and were burning much better than her wood.

So who always has some logs in the back of their truck besides me? You know... just in case you need them. All the air moving around back there also seems to keep them quite dried out.

I usually cut, split, stack and store uncovered in summer on my father-in-law's property. The following spring I move the wood to my home and restack, covering this time until it is used that fall/winter. I only cover on top, so the sides will get damp. It has always burned well. I think you will be fine.

That wood will not soak up much moisture at all from that ice and snow. If you left it where it was, one good windy day would completely dry it, but it will dry okay in the shed too.

Believe it or not, but if you have a black or dark blue or brown station wagon or hatchback
that you can fold down the rear seats, put your wet wood it that , on some newspaper, & park it in the sun for a couple of days. The sun will bring the interior of the car up 20 deg over outside air temps & your wood should be dried out in 2 or 3 days.

The moisture will condense & freeze at night on the insides of all the car's windows, thus removing the moisture from the air so the next day the car starts with drier air.

It dont hurt to open the car doors every morning for 5 minutes either, to speed things alone, say around 11 am or noon.

This should be a car you dont intend to drive to work because of the serious ice you will have on the insides of the windows in the early am.

Being lazy, I left the hatch back of my midnight blue honda civic full of rounds one whole day & over night & next morning , all the moisture from the wood had coated the insides of the windows
& turned to ice , so that is how I discovered this cute trick for a winter time solar wood drying kline/ still.

Try it, it really works, but use a 10 yr or older, hatch back or station wagon , not your brand new 30K toy.

I've done that before, the water doesn't get the lower wood wet as much as the top, it sheds off , bring the wet wood inside and let it dry and burn the lower stuff, I have a big garage that I keep my wood in, I have learned after 30 years haha

Status
Not open for further replies.