I converted my in-laws from a cheap HD stove to a Harman 52i

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

08specB

Mar 31, 2014
Ellington, CT
So my in-laws have seen and liked our Harman XXV for the past couple months. They were fine with their HD/Lowes New Englander POS stove for 8+ years. Last week it started shitting the bed the controls arent working and it only works on high.

After telling them Harman was the Cadillac of stoves they picked the 52i for thei 2,000sq ft colonial. They will be getting it from Squier Lumber where I got mine and having Bryan install it on November 11th.

Now my next task is to try and convince my father in law to not run cheap lowes pellets. He is convinced that hardwoods are the way to go and they they burn slower and hotter. This will be fun explaining to him that he has been wrong for many many years, LOL.

I always run softwoods if I can get them. That being said that Harman will burn anything from cheap pellets to high end premium pellets. Great stove, their gonna love it.

I know Harmans will burn anything however after doing my research and seeing what others on here run softwoods are the way to go. That or pellets with low ash and moisture

Reactions: killie11
I know Harmans will burn anything however after doing my research and seeing what others on here run softwoods are the way to go. That or pellets with low ash and moisture
Yes softwoods are best, more heat, less ash, less maintenance. Be sure to post pics after the install:)

LOL the Englander guy gets called cheap buy a Harman guy.

Read my sig. I'M the cheap one. :p

Reactions: Fsappo and 08specB
So my in-laws have seen and liked our Harman XXV for the past couple months. They were fine with their HD/Lowes New Englander POS stove for 8+ years. Last week it started shitting the bed the controls arent working and it only works on high.

After telling them Harman was the Cadillac of stoves they picked the 52i for thei 2,000sq ft colonial. They will be getting it from Squier Lumber where I got mine and having Bryan install it on November 11th.

Now my next task is to try and convince my father in law to not run cheap lowes pellets. He is convinced that hardwoods are the way to go and they they burn slower and hotter. This will be fun explaining to him that he has been wrong for many many years, LOL.
I'm also I harman insert owner I completly disagree with you . I burn the CHEAP Home Depot pellets . Harmanburn just about anything and do it well .. And the money I'm saving to heat my home .. Have fun spending more on fuel

Reactions: jdinny
I didn't cheap out on my purchase but I don't have a Harman:p Depends on what you're looking for and whether service is close and/or reliable ... (Edit: Just like all pellets stoves are not created equal, neither are dealers) If someone lives in a rural location, the travel time can be a large part of the bill. If you like to do you own repairs anyway, I'm sure that voids Harman warranty.

Why waste money by burning expensive softwood pellets? Don't be so naive.... ;)

no you are right its not cuba its mexico

by POS I just meant that its broken several times over the past couple years, its very loud and it doesnt control the heat output very well.

p.s. all good things cost $ LOL :p

Reactions: Ctcarl and killie11
Keep talking. You may convince yourself someday. ;lol

POS ! That depends on the POS you have...... Not all of us can afford a POS Harman and so we have to make do with the limited funds that we have on hand.

Not all of us have jobs that pay the $$$ to buy the more expensive POS that you have. :p

Oh, and my 25-PVDC works, not had a single break down so far (2 years), and with the mods that I've done to the burn chamber allows the stove to burn any pellet brand, soft and hard, some days it cooks us out of the house, even on low ! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.