I converted my in-laws from a cheap HD stove to a Harman 52i

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think all that matters in the end is whether or not the owner is happy. Whether it's an Englander, Harman or whatever. Each brand has it's own unique features and quirks. Like many things we buy the best is what you can afford at the time. If that happens to a Harman great, if it happens to be an Englander that's great too. They are both great stoves and have served many people's needs and that is to provide heat at a reasonable cost. Learning to maintain your stove properly is far more important than what brand you have.

Except for the implication that people buy a particular stove just because they can't afford a different brand. Bound to be many but I know one case where that ain't true. ==c

Except for the implication that people buy a particular stove just because they can't afford a different brand. Bound to be many but I know one case where that ain't true. ==c

x2, I like the idea of being able to order parts for things I bought and installing them myself. All of the features on the more expensive stoves are just more complicated crap to break.

Did not quite undertand the corelation,but caught the drift,agree.You going to get part of that storm coming your way?Got stove running,looks like will be on for 1 more day,normally would have plowed 2 times by now,have not!But want to get second(upstairs) stove installed so I can have it above 66 when it is -30 here

80 degrees today. Highs in the 40s with rain and first freeze warnings for the weekend. Brushed the pipe this morning since it looks like the game is afoot.

I wasn't implying that at all. Price is but one factor to consider when buying a stove. I owned an Englander for a few years. Great stove but a pain to maintain, at least for me. I'm very mechanically inclined so if something breaks I don't need a dealer to come out. I order parts from dealer or online if dealer doesn't want to sell me the part.

Reactions: AddictiveStew
Like many things we buy the best is what you can afford at the time. If that happens to a Harman great, if it happens to be an Englander that's great too.

Guess I should have quoted it. ;lol

I LOVE buying expensive POS's

I LOVE buying expensive POS's

OP has burned his Harman for exactly zero winters. Kind of like buying a Cadillac for your first car and knocking everyone else's Pinto before you know how to drive.

[quote="JDenyer236, post: 1793488, memb

I have a (1977) Mercury Bobcat for sale, only asking $ 45,000...One born every minute...Don't get upset (only kidding)...I'm no mechanic, just love to give people a 1/4 turn!!!

Reactions: JDenyer236
So my in-laws have seen and liked our Harman XXV for the past couple months. They were fine with their HD/Lowes New Englander POS stove for 8+ years. Last week it started shitting the bed the controls arent working and it only works on high.

After telling them Harman was the Cadillac of stoves they picked the 52i for thei 2,000sq ft colonial. They will be getting it from Squier Lumber where I got mine and having Bryan install it on November 11th.

Now my next task is to try and convince my father in law to not run cheap lowes pellets. He is convinced that hardwoods are the way to go and they they burn slower and hotter. This will be fun explaining to him that he has been wrong for many many years, LOL.
Get some pics of that bad boy:)

So my in-laws have seen and liked our Harman XXV for the past couple months. They were fine with their HD/Lowes New Englander POS stove for 8+ years. Last week it started shitting the bed the controls arent working and it only works on high.

After telling them Harman was the Cadillac of stoves they picked the 52i for thei 2,000sq ft colonial. They will be getting it from Squier Lumber where I got mine and having Bryan install it on November 11th.

Now my next task is to try and convince my father in law to not run cheap lowes pellets. He is convinced that hardwoods are the way to go and they they burn slower and hotter. This will be fun explaining to him that he has been wrong for many many years, LOL.

Obviously the old adage "20 miles and 20 grand don't make ya a biker" applies to pellet stoves as well ........

Reactions: bags and Polar Bear
I love keeping the mechanic busy! I can break anything!
We have guys just like you at work, LOL ! So you're not alone out there.

I have a son named Jason, works for a Chevy dealership but he fixes anything ( the apple didn't fall far from the tree with that one) !!

I owned both. I can say that the Englander I had certainly kept our house warm and saved us money last winter. I purchased the Harman because when you work full time and go to school full time you just don't have the extra hours to do a tear down and clean everyday. The Englander paid for itself twice over in oil savings in one year, so no complaints! The ease of cleaning and maintenance (so far) on our Harman has been great for both myself and my wife when I'm on a business trip. No way would she shut the old Englander down for a full cleaning. She would just crank the dino juice! No need for that. :)

Why not let the man experiment himself? I'm sure he is capable of forming his own opinions, and his decisions in life haven't killed him yet. Let him enjoy his stove. He's letting you enjoy his daughter after all.

LOL this is very true !!

I also love that this thread is now 3 pages long. Makes me happy that I can get everyone to agree and work together :p

Their New Englander (if thats the stove they actually have) has worked well for them for 8+ years. I find it kind of funny just because I said it was a POS everyone got their panties in a twist. Something is wrong with the control board but over the past couple years the blower went, the auger* broke and one other thing happened I cant recall what it was. They are sick of fixing it (right now its going through 2 bags a day brokenish) so they liked the one I purchased so they went with the 52i.

Last edited:
Reactions: AddictiveStew

I think I will sit quietly on the sidelines with this one. I've already had my butt kicked by Lake Girl. LOL! She had to give this guy a few slaps and straighten out my thinking on the hardwood vs. softwood pellets. A little tough love never hurt anyone. Free education is great! I owe you one. Thanks, Donkey Boy the assumer. I was thinking caveman technology with the hardwoods. Another words, I was comparing wood stoves to pellet stoves. My bad.......

You guys and GALS are awesome here!

LOL this is very true !!

I also love that this thread is now 3 pages long. Makes me happy that I can get everyone to agree and work together :p

Their New Englander (if thats the stove they actually have) has worked well for them for 8+ years. I find it kind of funny just because I said it was a POS everyone got their panties in a twist. Something is wrong with the control board but over the past couple years the blower went, the auger* broke and one other thing happened I cant recall what it was. They are sick of fixing it (right now its going through 2 bags a day brokenish) so they liked the one I purchased so they went with the 52i.
Those parts will break on any stove. If that's all that went wrong in 8 years then that's not bad at all.

Reactions: Bioburner
Those parts will break on any stove. If that's all that went wrong in 8 years then that's not bad at all.
I agree. If the average of parts needed are only $50 or so a year that's not bad at all.

I'll take it as the original post not saying all Englander stoves are pieces of poopoo. Just the one his parents had. Back in the single days I had a 5 series. It was top of the line in my eyes, proof that you get what you pay for. Hahah you guys in your used Subaru! Then the block cracked in the beemer. To me it was a POS! Now I drive a 20+ year old $1500 pick up truck and laugh at the guys who spend that much on a brake job on their toys!

All relative

I have a (1977) Mercury Bobcat for sale, only asking $ 45,000...One born every minute...Don't get upset (only kidding)...I'm no mechanic, just love to give people a 1/4 turn!!!
Sold:)

Reactions: Big papa
Hell yeah, those 2.0's (later 2.3's) ran like ***** apes, got a lima 2.3 from a pinto in my mg midget.

Harman, dems for rich folk

Pinto's were great car's that got a bad rap...Mercury Bobcat is the same exact car, only difference between the two were the tail lights and front grill...Both made in Edison N.J...I never remember hearing of a Bobcat exploading after a rear end impact...

I convinced myself a long time ago thank you very much :)
I agree englundar is a POS stove wouldn't wouldn't own one as a yard ornament

I agree englundar is a POS stove wouldn't wouldn't own one as a yard ornament

Have you finished that first bag of pellets yet?

Reactions: pinetop12
Pinto's were great car's that got a bad rap...Mercury Bobcat is the same exact car, only difference between the two were the tail lights and front grill...Both made in Edison N.J...I never remember hearing of a Bobcat exploading after a rear end impact...

Wife's first new car was a '73 Pinto Runabout. The same year I bought a new Oldsmobile. Within a year I was driving the Pinto and she was driving the Oldsmobile. Her second new car was a Pinto station wagon and mine was a Triumph TR-8 convertible. Within a year she was driving a Triumph and I was driving...

Reactions: Arti
Status
Not open for further replies.