I could use more help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soozlz

Nov 27, 2007
Southern CT
Someone was kind enough to identify the used Quaker Moravian I am getting. They even supplied a link to specs (which I need to get a permit). Sadly the specs are for the fireplace insert and the one I'm getting is free-standing. I think the town will want specs for the model I'm getting. Does anyone have more info??

Craig provided more info on that antique than you are going to find anywhere else on the planet.

Tell the town that the default for clearances are 36 inches in all directions under NFPA and the International Mechanical Codes. And then get that damned firewood away from that stove.

I think the town is obligated to follow International code NFPA 211 with an unlisted wood burning appliance. You don't need to have the manual. It just has to follow code clearances. Keep the flue diameter consistent and clearances to combustibles at or above the code and you should be legal. Just go by the book.

It will be tough to find a manual. The insert and the stove are the same unit, with slight modifications. I really have no idea where you would get a manual at this point - 22 years or so after the company went out of biz.

A lot of stores near that area sold them, so you could try a place (over the phone) like the Woodburners in Hatfield, PA - and if they don't, ask them if they know of any local shops that sold the brand. Maybe try Krings Stove Shop also - boyertown area.

So the International code that the previous poster mentioned (36 inch clearance in all directions) is the same as what you mentioned? Where do I find the code? If I put the stove out 36 inches from my existing chimney its almost in the middle of the room. I would like to figure out whether this is really going to work.

To Craig: I noticed that the fireplace insert isn't that different. And asking if there is a manual was a total shot in the dark. When I spoke to the town today the inspector DID NOT mention anything about the default codes. I think that should have been brought up as an option. Anyway, just trying to give them what they want so I can get the permit.

Status
Not open for further replies.